PDA

View Full Version : Electrical tape

Jeff Eastman
06-18-2007, 12:57 PM

Nick Ostrowski
06-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Jeff, how did you see the taped cable? Is it plainly exposed or did you need to remove a coverplate to see it?

Gunnar Alquist
06-18-2007, 03:57 PM
If the builder put it in writing, then he is accepting responsibility for it. You have made your recommendation.

Jerry Peck
06-19-2007, 06:02 AM
Tell the builder to 'show me the code section which states that' ... or replace it.

Richard Rushing
06-19-2007, 06:06 AM
My comment in my report:

"Electrical cable damaged and has improper repairs (taped) at upstairs left rear bedroom door entry topplate".

Builders' Comment:

"Electrical tape by code is considered insulation rated!"

Is this true??

Jeff,
While the builder should be able to back-up his statement... he won't. It will then be where he will challenge you with code to back-up your statement and finally become a pissing-contest that will eat up alot of your time and effort.

You saw, you identified, you reported.... time to move on.

Rich

Jerry Peck
06-19-2007, 06:12 AM
Jeff,
While the builder should be able to back-up his statement... he won't. It will then be where he will challenge you with code to back-up your statement

The BUILDER said "Electrical tape by code is considered insulation rated!"

Which is why I said "Tell the builder to 'show me the code section which states that' ... or replace it."

Jeff just stated it was damaged and needed repairs, he did not cite code - THE BUILDER DID, so let the builder back it up.

Richard Rushing
06-19-2007, 06:24 AM
Jerry,

We are not saying anything different... just different ways.

The builder WON'T provide the code (he can't). He will say, "It been fine that way since Moby-Dick was a minnow and now this guy (Jeff) want's to say we can't do it this way?" "Why?"

Then the buyer turns to Jeff and says, "You can provide back up for that right?"

That's where it ALWAYS (by the builder or contractor) becomes a pissing contest because it eats up your time and energy that you should be spendig on doning another inspection, or writing a report or tickling ma-ma.

My point is that the buyer doesen't know anything. He is going to ask everyone to provide back-up for what they stated.... even though, the builder was the one who mentioned "code".

Rich

Jerry Peck
06-19-2007, 06:41 AM
The builder WON'T provide the code (he can't). He will say, "It been fine that way since Moby-Dick was a minnow and now this guy (Jeff) want's to say we can't do it this way?" "Why?"

Then the buyer turns to Jeff and says, "You can provide back up for that right?"

That's when Jeff gives his client 300.4, NEC (bold is mine).
- 300.4 Protection Against Physical Damage.
- - Where subject to physical damage, conductors shall be adequately protected.
(then it goes on being more specific about various things)

The fact of the matter is, if tape was needed, *they were NOT "adequately protected"*.

Then follow that with 'And the code does not tell you that you are allowed to repair damaged conductors.'

Robert Mattison
08-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Jerry I know this post is old, 06/19/2007

"where subject to phyisical damage conductor shall be adequately protected."

This thread mention something about tape.

Is this thread about broken conduit?:confused:

Thanks, ROBERT

Jerry Peck
08-13-2009, 04:38 PM
I do not recall what the original post was about.