PDA

View Full Version : Fibered ceiling panel identification

Glenn Curtis
11-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Here's one for the 'old-guys' (includes me)... Some home's built in the late '50's and early '60's here in Vegas, use this fibered panel-board in lieu of drywall or wood-lath and plaster, for ceiling finishes. Looks like some Armstrong ceiling products that I installed in commercial buildings in the '70's. The product looks like insulation board...along the lines of Celotex or Armstrong-products...with one side finished, similar to drop-in ceiling tiles. Any info on this product would be warmly appreciated. Website links to additional 'info' would be helpful. As you can see by the photo's, if the roof leaks, this product doesn't last long so many home's were eventually retrofitted with drywall shortly after roof replacements. Thanks for your help guys!

Marcel Cyr
11-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Glenn, I remember that product, but trying to find information on the web of old products is difficult.
Here is a listing of products made by Celotex in those years, they all contained asbestos fibers as well as everything else I worked with in those years. You might recognize some of them.
Hope this helps a little.

The majority of the products containing asbestos made by the Celotex Company was used for insulation and was in production from 1906 until 1973. These products included:

Carey 7-M Asbestos Shorts
Carey Block Insulation
Carey Fiberock Felt
Carey Insulating Cement
Carey Millboard
Carey MW-50 Insulating Cement
Carey Pipe Covering
Careytemp block insulation
Careytemp insulating cement
Careytemp pipe covering
Carey Asphalt Floor Tile
Carey Pipecovering
Careytemp Block
Careystone Corrugated Sheet
Thermo-board
Carey Flex Board
Carey Millboard

RANDY NICHOLAS
11-24-2009, 06:38 PM
THAT STUFF IS CALLED "TECKTEM". STRONG WITH GOOD ACCOUSTICAL VALUES.

Marcel Cyr
11-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Randy, Tectum is a roof panel and acoustical panels.

I used to install that product on School gym roofs years ago and called it Shreaded Wheat panels, because that is what it looked like when it got wet.
The pictures above is a celotex brand product. :)

Glenn Curtis
11-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Randy, Tectum is a roof panel and acoustical panels.

I used to install that product on School gym roofs years ago and called it Shreaded Wheat panels, because that is what it looked like when it got wet.
The pictures above is a celotex brand product. :)

You're right Marcel. I cut my teeth on commercial-construction as a young carpenter, on medium to large commercial projects. I remember installing these panels in schools...a library...a building on Nellis AFB, a rural Post-Office and other similar projects. I just can't remember the product's name. As I mentioned...I'm sure it's an Armstrong or Celotex product....just can't remember the panels 'product' name and that's what I'm hoping someone on this board will 'remember' for me! It's 'hell' to get old eh? What?

Glenn Curtis
11-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Just had an 'A-Ha!' moment.... Manufactured homes and/or mobile homes. The ceiling panels used in the 60's thru the '80's....same stuff I'll bet! I've inspected more MH's than I care to remember....most have that same, or very similar, ceiling panels. Probably same manufacturer eh? More research.