PDA

View Full Version : Roof pond pump?

John Kogel
11-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Does anyone have first hand experience with these or similar units? I am wondering why I don't see them on 3/4 of the condo roofs around here. About $1000 each. Money well spent IMO.

index (http://www.sol-pro.com/)

Gunnar Alquist
11-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Does anyone have first hand experience with these or similar units? I am wondering why I don't see them on 3/4 of the condo roofs around here. About $1000 each. Money well spent IMO.

Ummm.... That looks like a solar panel. Just how does it work? Rain = no sun and the pump doesn't work. No rain and there is sun for the pump, but no water, so you don't need a pump.

Am I missing something?

Jerry Peck
11-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Am I missing something?

Only that the real solution is to correct the ponding water problem ... ;)

:D

John Kogel
11-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Ummm.... That looks like a solar panel. Just how does it work? Rain = no sun and the pump doesn't work. No rain and there is sun for the pump, but no water, so you don't need a pump.

Am I missing something?Yes, you are. :) There's a battery in there.
The low voltage makes it safer than running extension cords through the puddles.

James Skinner
11-30-2009, 03:05 AM
Is there a float switch or other method of detecting the presence or absense of water to avoid pump damage?

Ron Bibler
11-30-2009, 05:02 AM
14/06/2005 What ? Did you just get a new camera John:D

Best

Ron

John Arnold
11-30-2009, 05:32 AM
My solar powered lunch box!

chris mcintyre
11-30-2009, 05:43 PM
There is still an awful lot of standing water on the roof.
Do they make a solar powered squeegee? :)

John Kogel
11-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Is there a float switch or other method of detecting the presence or absense of water to avoid pump damage?I imagine they have a float switch. If they want these things to catch on, they have to make them trouble-free.

Those pics are copied from the website. Maybe a dry spot would be better for the pictures? :)

We just had a month of rain up here, and some roof ponds won't dry out completely till next spring.
I doubt if the recharge cycle could keep up with a cloudy rainy winter.
Apparently non-solar versions of this are used alot in the UK.

Raymond Wand
11-30-2009, 08:37 PM
What about winter conditions when the water freezes along with the pump?

John Kogel
12-01-2009, 09:37 AM
What about winter conditions when the water freezes along with the pump?Water freezes? That's scary. :)

Good point, Raymond. A heating element will kill the battery before the pump can kick in. Back to the drawing board. :)

brian schmitt
12-01-2009, 11:35 AM
as much as it pains me to do this; i have to agree with ec jerry on this one. r and r the roof.:D

Scott Patterson
12-01-2009, 04:03 PM
It is a neat device, but I would call it a temporary fix for a bad problem.

If my math is correct a 1" deep pond of water that is 20' x 20' would weigh in at around 2,080 lbs!!

Frank Suchodolski
12-13-2009, 01:18 AM
It would be a good tool for the roofer to pplace the pump on the roof...just before he re-roofed! And re-slope all areas to provide slope to drain. Sloped insulation is the most common fix, expensive but necessary. I still see too many new roofs installed with the ponding issues not addressed.

Frank Suchodolski, RRO