06-18-2007, 05:48 PM

John Arnold
06-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Wood not make it into my report.
Yuk yuk.

Rick Hurst
06-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Jeff,

Here in Texas as a Termite inspector, we have to note fences that are in contact with the structure.

Personally, I don't make a big deal out of it unless I see some termite trails on the pickets or visible carpenter ants trailing off the fence onto the exterior walls.

Making a person have to treat a fence in good condition or just because it touches the house is an overkill in my opinion.

As a home inspector with a termite license, I don't see what it hurts to mention that a fence on the ground next to the foundation could be a site for possible wood destroying insects. You know its a fact. I don't agree with the whole thing of you have to have a license to tell someone as such.

Heck, I'm not a plumber but I can spot a leak and do mention it in my reports.

JMHO

Thom Walker
06-18-2007, 08:19 PM
I've never commented in my report before regarding wooden fences contacting the house - - should I? I was only thinking that maybe I should due to termite attraction? Then again, I'm not licensed to do termites, so maybe I shouldn't comment???

You don't even have to say the T word. A simple "The fence should not be in contact with both the ground and the house. Trim or remove the fence." I usually do say that it is conducive to wood destroying insect infestation.

If they had wood stacked against the house, you would tell them not to, wouldn't you?

Bruce Breedlove
06-18-2007, 09:25 PM
If you don't want the fence contacting the house you might try getting a restraining order. :P

Joseph P. Hagarty
06-18-2007, 10:23 PM
As a PCO in Pennsylvania.

Not a concern unless there is evidence of an active infestation of WDI.

Conducive conditions may be noted in the Notes Section of the NPMA-33 but particular exception to construction in close proximity to the Building would generally not be a concern.

Jerry Peck
06-19-2007, 05:45 AM
As a retired pest control operator in Florida, if the fence (or deck or similar structure) touches the house, you have to report it and inspect it.

It is best to state as Thom said "The fence should not be in contact with both the ground and the house. Trim or remove the fence.", I would even state is slightly differently "The fence should not be in contact with the house, not only it is a potential termite access highway, but also provides a means for other pests to access the house. Trim or remove the fence." (Being as I've never seen a fence "NOT" in contact "with the ground", I would not bother to state that. :p )

Thom Walker
06-19-2007, 12:27 PM
(Being as I've never seen a fence "NOT" in contact "with the ground", I would not bother to state that. :p )

Point taken.