PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on condensing furnace.

Marc M
12-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Looking for some useful information when /if I inspect a condensing furnace.

Brandon Whitmore
12-05-2009, 11:57 PM
About the only difference with them is that they are vented via plastic, and a drain system needs to be installed. I run the furnaces for quite some time and look for leaks-- find them quite often. Also, combustion air can be pulled from the exterior or interior/ garage. Just make sure the combustion air isn't contaminated.

Other than that, I recommend reading manufacturers installation instructions for the major manufacturers of these furnaces.

Hope that helps?

A.D. Miller
12-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Principles of Home Inspection ... - Google Books (http://books.google.com/books?id=OMVc-nTpqwAC&pg=PA557&lpg=PA557&dq=inspecting+condensing+furnaces&source=bl&ots=mAQSZ_ijLw&sig=2GRWiu-RDe2uekpMH5mpB-iB6HA&hl=en&ei=XRkcS-OZKJOWtgeJ9eHzBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=&f=false)

Tom Rees
12-07-2009, 09:40 AM
The biggest concern I see with these furnaces is leaks behind cover, all those places where there are pvc to rubber and clamps, traps etc.

Bob Elliott
12-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Unfortunately they are allowed to pull makeup air from inside, which in some modern tight homes can cause an issue.