PDA

View Full Version : Toilet questions - - no kidding!

dan orourke
06-18-2007, 06:29 PM

Erby Crofutt
06-18-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm hunting elephants (to paraphrase Jack) not mice. Those are mice.

Joseph P. Hagarty
06-18-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm hunting elephants (to paraphrase Jack) not mice. Those are mice.

Note the deficiencies that effect the operation of the plumbing fixture.

Surface corrosion on the float rod will not cause the Toilet to be inoperable.

It may be indicative of a condition worth monitoring (Well Water Conditioning) but not a condition warranting repair without some other deficiency being present

Jack Feldmann
06-19-2007, 04:19 AM
I probably wouldn't write up either one - unless the house was brand new, or the toilet wasn't flushing properly.

Richard Rushing
06-19-2007, 05:31 AM
I would write up the leak at that fill valve. That is one that you will most certainly see after only a couple years old. That type is a piece of crap.

That leak becomes pressurized after a while and tends to run up-then-under the tank cover. Once that happens, the wall behind the tank becomes damaged.

Rich

Thom Walker
06-19-2007, 05:43 AM
It's okay to shoot mice every once in a while, but baby mice? :D When you start talking about individual components of, I think the report starts to lose value. I would call it out for the reasons RR stated. "The filler valve and float assembly is degraded from normal wear and should be replaced."

Jim Luttrall
07-20-2007, 08:27 AM
The Webster on-line dictionary says this
Main Entry: ball cock
Function: noun
: an automatic valve whose opening and closing are controlled by a hollow float at the end of a lever

I would suspect a "Fill Valve" would be a more precise term, but ball cock is a pretty universal term generally understood by the public.
The plumber is likely just busting your chops since you are a lowly HI. Technically he may be correct, but I'll bet he knew where to look when you called it that.;)

Frank C. Carter
08-03-2007, 05:05 PM
See arrow on picture ---- that is known as the ball cock valve, correct?

NO, it is an ARROW.:) The thing that it is pointing at is a water closet tank fill valve. Sorry, I could not pass it up.:D

Nolan Kienitz
08-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Dan,

Just curious. Was house built in ~ 2002?

Bruce Breedlove
08-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Looks like somebody needs some potty training. :D