PDA

View Full Version : no e-mail notification

Vern Heiler
12-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Hey Brian, I am not getting notification of reply on my e-mail anymore? Also I now have to sign in every time after I close the IN window, didn't used to have to! If this is a change to make us honest, how about listing the people that are on line at the bottom like you used to.

Dan Harris
12-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Hey Brian, I am not getting notification of reply on my e-mail anymore? Also I now have to sign in every time after I close the IN window, didn't used to have to! If this is a change to make us honest, how about listing the people that are on line at the bottom like you used to.
Everything is working on my end.
I did use the option of canceling the emails

John Arnold
12-08-2009, 11:26 AM
...I now have to sign in every time after I close the IN window, didn't used to have to!...

Are you checking the "Remember me" box when you sign in?

Brian Hannigan
12-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi Vern,

Nothing has changed on this end. If you need to sign in all the time it is because your cookies are getting deleted. Did you install a new "cookie cleaner" or other virus or ad ware program that is deleting all your cookies?

Once you are logged in you can see the others at the bottom that are logged in too.

If you are not receiving your email notifications check your UserCP (link in upper left of all the pages) and make sure your email address is correct. If it is make sure that your email program is not filtering your mail into a junk or spam folder. You should also add InspectionNews.net to your white list or contacts list so your program knows that it is OK.

I hope that helps.

Vern Heiler
12-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks Brian, I got the cookie thing fixed so I don't have to log in every time. The list at the bottom of the page only shows cities and states? I'll have to wait and see about the e-mails (hope there is still someone that I'm not on there ignore list:) )

John Arnold
12-08-2009, 03:12 PM
...(hope there is still someone that I'm not on there ignore list:) )

Vern, I'll take you off my ignore list long for purposes of testing the system.

just kidding

Brian Hannigan
12-08-2009, 03:15 PM
The "Who's on-line" will only appear on the home page
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/ and will be above the Cities / States.

If you do not see it look in the same place for:
"Currently Active Users (http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/online.php): 240 (36 members and 204 guests)"
"InspectionNews - Home Inspection Statistics"

and to the right of each of those click on the little down arrow icon to open that section.

Vern Heiler
12-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks John. I still have not figured out the e-mail problem though! I had some problems with CA security a couple of weeks ago. Nice voice from somewhere in Asia ran some magic script and said I was all fixed. Scary isn't it!

Brian Hannigan
12-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Go to your UserCP and click on "List Subscriptions (http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription)"

Are you subscribed to any threads?

If not go to "Edit Options" in your UserCP and check your setting for "Default Thread Subscription Mode"

Vern Heiler
12-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Brian I have tried everything I can. Re-installed my security program (CA) and have checked to make sure "inspectionnews.net" is in the approved senders list. Instant notification is selected and have checks in the boxes. I am not getting any e-mails from IN and have joined enough threads to weave an Indian blanket just to make sure I got some hits. I am getting e-mail from others, including "ASHI Holiday Greetings". I hope IN is the only e-mail I am missing. It is probably something on my end but I would appreciate any help.

Vern Heiler
12-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Brian can you send me an e-mail so I can verify I can receive from your address. Thanks

Brian Hannigan
12-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Brian can you send me an e-mail so I can verify I can receive from your address. Thanks

Sent. Please let me know if you receive it.

Vern Heiler
12-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Sent. Please let me know if you receive it.

Nope! My e-mail is heilerv@carolina.rr.com What the heck is wrong?

H.G. Watson, Sr.
12-14-2009, 01:55 PM
VH,

Try setting up a free webmail email account at gmail (which I've used and can vouch it works okay with IN) or yahoo, hotmail, whatever.
Do all the verifications, etc. and send yourself a test email from your rr.com account and make sure it is up and running.
Then log into IN and using the User CP link on the L of the banner change your email address.

Then see if you're getting your IN email in your new webmail address using the webmail feature not email program.

If you do, then you've narrowed it down to either your provider filtering out as spam themselves, your own personal options for your provider filer, or your email program and/or settings. With my former provider I had set up my IN email to go into a specific folder - it worked great, UNTIL THEY upgraded their own webmail interface - that plus an update on my outlook made my IN mail go to cyberspace :confused: (at least it didn't show up anymore). About that time I switched my email to a personal address & provider.

You can always go back to your profile/user control panel and change the email address back, once you've figured it out.

I switched to a gmail webmail account for IN because my provider uses another's mail server - THEY were filtering out my IN newsletters and notifications. I don't have that problem with gmail but I do have to remember to check it from time to time!

Vern Heiler
12-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks H.G.

Brian, just checked my mail and found the message arrived at 3:45. About an hour after you sent it. It was sent from a .com address not the .net that I expected? I am going to call Road Runner in the morning and see if they are blocking. I like getting the e-mail notifications but am more concerned that I might be missing others as well. $$$

H.G. Watson, Sr.
12-15-2009, 07:48 PM
VH,

You're welcome. Now make another post quick: your post count is now the dreaded tripple six! It isn't the 13th or a Friday, but knock on wood and post again just the same!:D

rr can be a pain. One accidential this is spam click instead of delete and bam its forever blocked w/o tech help to undo the filter "training".