PDA

View Full Version : Rust on furnace vent

Norm Peery
12-08-2009, 03:13 PM
I saw this today on 2 split HVAC units.The air handlers etc., were horizontal, hung in the attic. Rust was noted on both vent pipes and rust in the condensate pan directly under the pipe. Never seen this before, no indication anywhere of moisture intrusion.
Does anyone have an idea?

Norm

Billy Stephens
12-08-2009, 04:17 PM

Norm
Heat Exchanger has a hole in it . :eek:

Ted Menelly
12-08-2009, 04:26 PM
I saw this today on 2 split HVAC units.The air handlers etc., were horizontal, hung in the attic. Rust was noted on both vent pipes and rust in the condensate pan directly under the pipe. Never seen this before, no indication anywhere of moisture intrusion.

Norm

Yep. An HVAC contractor has to come for further evaluation for repairs/replacement.

Anyway. That is not just a little rust from the flue. That is a serious fault such as in what Bill might be thinking. I have not seen that kind of rust from a flue pipe in years.

Michael Thomas
12-08-2009, 05:03 PM
HE problems seems unlikely in two units, unless a know problem for that model.

Here in Chicago that could be the result of condensation within single wall vent pipe passing through an unconditioned space (the attic) - don't know about your AZ climate, though.

Norm Peery
12-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Michael,
The climate is very mild, and very dry. 1st time I have seen this. The weird thing is, it's on the vent pipes for both units. One is rusted worse than the other, but...........
Still wondering.
Thanks,
Norm

Vern Heiler
12-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Is there a chance these are Hi-efficiency condensing furnaces that should have been vented with PVC?

Bob Harper
12-08-2009, 06:47 PM
The male end of the vent connector is pointing down, which means ALL the condensate remains in the vent and puddles at the base of that ell.

You need a qualified tech to perform a comprehensive inspection and service including combustion analysis to see why this unit is condensing and if there are other problems such as with the HX.

What does the rest of the chimney/ vent look like?

Is that secondary drain on the A coil unplugged?

Bob

David Bell
12-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Being that both units are doing the same thing I would Guess that the attic space is too tight and does not provide enough combustion air for the units

David Bell
12-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Is that secondary drain on the A coil unplugged?

the secondary should be capped, and a pan switch installed

john_opwin
01-02-2010, 05:14 AM
To prevent Furnace filter from rust it should be replaced or cleaned in three or four times in a year.

John Arnold
01-02-2010, 05:53 AM
To prevent Furnace filter from rust it should be replaced or cleaned in three or four times in a year.

?? How does the filter get rusty??