PDA

View Full Version : Crawl space vents below grade

mathew stouffer
12-14-2009, 06:40 PM
These "vents" were about to feet below grade, so it was a screw up. Additional functional vents were present. My question is, other then leakage threw these vent, do they pose any issue?

Jeffrey L. Mathis
12-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Doesn't look like any signs of water penetration. I'd show a picture in the report and defer to future monitoring.

JLMathis

John Kogel
12-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Recommend sealing them up, "repair". They are not serving any purpose buried in the dirt.

You seem to uncover more than a fair share of screw-ups in your area. Tough place to work, huh. :)

mathew stouffer
12-14-2009, 10:25 PM
You are right, especially for multi million dollar homes. This one was 2.5, it is amazing. The county inspectors are a joke, half of them don't even go in the crawl spaces, let alone the attic.

A.D. Miller
12-15-2009, 05:39 AM
The county inspectors are a joke, half of them don't even go in the crawl spaces, let alone the attic.

MS: That is true of both the county and city inspectors in Texas.:D

brian schmitt
12-15-2009, 02:24 PM
inspector slammers,
competent inspectors usually are not found or required to go into attics or underfloor areas. they look at these areas during the construction process and do not allow the job to progress until the discrepencies are addressed. home inspectors and handy man hacks usually are the only people that go in these areas after a c of o has been issued. but if you feel this adolescent need to slam all ahj's: go for it!:D
a competent inspector would have made the contractor remove the vents and pour the wall solid and waterproof the wall below grade and call for inspection before proceeding.

Ken Rowe
12-15-2009, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't be blaming the AHJ on this. The top of the vents appear to be only about 11 inches below grade. Most likely covered by the landscaper after the COA was issued.

chris mcintyre
12-15-2009, 06:01 PM
competent inspectors usually are not found or required to go into attics or underfloor areas.

This is true, I do not agree, but it is true. We have the "open floor" inspections that must be called in, framing stopped while they wait for the AHJ to show up and pass the floor system, basically so they don't have crawl under the house later. After that pretty much anything goes under the house, because most AHJ's at the final inspection will open the crawl space door, make sure there is a moisture barrier and some insulation, done.

I understand the sheathing and house wrap inspections, because they can not be seen after the exterior finish is applied, but how can you say that a competent inspector can find all problems that may exist at a C of O inspection if you don't go in the attic or under the house.

but if you feel this adolescent need to slam all ahj's: go for it!:D

As you may have noticed I said most, not all.;) :)

mathew stouffer
12-15-2009, 06:08 PM
The vents in the photo are only two of 6. The others are 32 inches below grade. And AhJ basher I am not. Park City inspetors are some of the Best anywhere. Summit county is simply overwhelmed, and some, not all, operate on the good old boys system. If they are not required to look in the attic, that would explain all the new homes with missing insulation. :p