PDA

View Full Version : conjoined furnaces

John Arnold
12-15-2009, 11:16 AM
I've seen houses with two or three furnaces, but they were always separate. These two are joined together. Any illuminating comments would be appreciated.

Michael Thomas
12-15-2009, 11:43 AM
My first thought is be that it's not going to be possible to balance both sides, and if there is a HE failure...

Jim Luttrall
12-15-2009, 11:58 AM
So long as air flow, gas, venting is planned and executed properly, I don't see a problem. Very common practice in churches, etc. Some manufacturers used to provide conversion kits. There should be a common relay to ensure all blowers operate simultaneously to prevent counter flow back through an idle unit.

John Arnold
12-15-2009, 12:07 PM
...Very common practice....

Thanks very much. I mainly wanted to know exactly that.

neal lewis
12-15-2009, 01:21 PM
You can refer to them as being twinned.

John Arnold
12-15-2009, 01:30 PM
You can refer to them as being twinned.

Thanks. I was thinking of conjoined twins, like Siamese.

Jerry Peck
12-15-2009, 08:53 PM
I would think that without that center dividing panel, each blower is going to be sucking from the other blower ... install that panel and each blower will operate in the manner in which it was designed.

David Bell
12-16-2009, 05:02 AM
I would think that without that center dividing panel, each blower is going to be sucking from the other blower ... install that panel and each blower will operate in the manner in which it was designed.

Michael Thomas
12-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Bryant 394-B - Installation Instructions - Tandem Gas-Fired Forced-Air Furnace. (http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/groups/public/documents/techlit/39394d83.pdf)

A quick read (for example the separate return air openings in figure 3 and the note below installation step 1-5) suggests to me that these may not be intended to be installed with a cross-connected blower compartment.

David Bell
12-16-2009, 11:28 AM
A quick read (for example the separate return air openings in figure 3 and the note below installation step 1-5) suggests to me that these may not be intended to be installed with a cross-connected blower compartment.

That particular instruction booklet is from 1974, a few things have changed since then.

Jerry Peck
12-16-2009, 06:55 PM
That particular instruction booklet is from 1974, a few things have changed since then.

However, air still flows under the same laws of physics as it did back in 1820, with some revisions on the written understanding of those laws - nature did not change, only the human understanding of what happens and why changes.

- Installation
- - 2. Apply proper seal around return air openings to prevent air leakage. Apply sponge tape from accessory package to right side of base of control furnace. This provides an air seal between furnaces.
- - etc.

John Arnold
12-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Did I mention that there was "oil canning" noise when the fans started up?

David Bell
12-17-2009, 06:27 AM
However, air still flows under the same laws of physics as it did back in 1820, with some revisions on the written understanding of those laws - nature did not change, only the human understanding of what happens and why changes.

- Installation
- - 2. Apply proper seal around return air openings to prevent air leakage. Apply sponge tape from accessory package to right side of base of control furnace. This provides an air seal between furnaces.
- - etc.

The changes I am refering to are, variable speed blowers, improved controls for zoning, multiple stages of heat. Obviously a proper seal is required. but a common return is not always wrong.

David Bell
12-17-2009, 06:33 AM
Did I mention that there was "oil canning" noise when the fans started up?

could be a lack of return,,could be a bad seal,,could be nothing but duct noise from air pressure.

David Bell
12-17-2009, 04:32 PM

- Installation
- - etc.

By the way if you would like to have a heating unit from 1820 feel free to indulge