PDA

View Full Version : Upside down breakers

Gary Mohel
12-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Ran across these double breakers in a FPE panel. One side right side up and one side upside down. Is this OK?

Ken Rowe
12-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Ran across these double breakers in a FPE panel. One side right side up and one side upside down. Is this OK?

It really doesn't matter since you should be recommending replacement of the FPE panel by a licensed electrician.

Gunnar Alquist
12-15-2009, 05:01 PM
When that panel was manufactured (and probably installed), it was OK, and fairly common to have upside-down breakers. It is no longer allowed in new construction and has not been for probably 25 years.

However, as Ken already noted, it is FPE and therefore suspect.

ken horak
12-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Looked back to 1978 NEC
article 240-81 where circuit breakers are installed vertically the UP postion shall be the "on" position

Gary Mohel
12-15-2009, 07:29 PM
I know that FPE panels have had problems and that they are no longer in business. I note that in my inspection reports. I also note that many electricians recommend that they be replaced. I do not state in my reports that they need to be replaced because I have not found any mention of that in the NEC. Could you give me an NEC reference that an FPE panel should be replaced if it does not have any visible problem except for being an FPE panel? I know there have been numerous problems with this panel. I make clients aware of this, but I have seen hundreds of these panels that are performing for years and do not have any indication of having electrical problems.

Ken Rowe
12-15-2009, 08:24 PM
As a Home Inspector I don't inspect "to code" Code enforcement is for the Code Enforcement Officials who inspect to the minimum standards at the time the building was built.

The Consumer Products Safety Commission has some good info on FPE panels: http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/meetings/mtg08/Alumwire3_18.pdf

And there is a ton of information here: Sample home inspection report language for Federal Pacific Electric Stab-Lok equipment or Federal Pioneer panels, Home, Building, or Electrical Inspection Report Language (http://www.inspectapedia.com/fpe/fpereport.htm)

As Home Inspectors we need to not only have knowledge of the current building codes, but also be up on our consumer safety, best building practices and previous building codes.