PDA

View Full Version : Internet Exploder

A.D. Miller
12-18-2009, 09:06 AM
I know this is not a software forum, but the folks here are so much brighter than what can be found on most techie sites, I thought I would take a chance with this.

Using IE7 in Windows XP when I try to right click on a picture and save as a file, IE freezes. I have tried:

(1) Emptying the cahce.
(2) Removing all add-ins.
(3) Uninstalling and reinstalling IE7.
(4) Disabling DET.
(5) Screaming at the son-of-a-bitch as loudly as I can while pounding on the desk like a mad MF, to no avail.

Any ideas short of blasting caps and C4?:D

Phillip Smith
12-18-2009, 09:15 AM
AXE :D

Ted Menelly
12-18-2009, 09:20 AM
I know this is not a software forum, but the folks here are so much brighter than what can be found on most techie sites, I thought I would take a chance with this.

Using IE7 in Windows XP when I try to right click on a picture and save as a file, IE freezes. I have tried:

(1) Emptying the cahce.
(2) Removing all add-ins.
(3) Uninstalling and reinstalling IE7.
(4) Disabling DET.
(5) Screaming at the son-of-a-bitch as loudly as I can while pounding on the desk like a mad MF, to no avail.

Any ideas short of blasting caps and C4?:D

Have you tried talking nicely to your computer. Threats sometimes bac fire on you. never a reason to raise a hand at a child.

And besides all that, I will check into it. It happened to me before but I forget what resolved it. I think I have the info noted some where.

A.D. Miller
12-18-2009, 09:22 AM
AXE :D

PS: Single or double blade?

A.D. Miller
12-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Have you tried talking nicely to your computer.

TM: Now there is a novel, however quaint, notion. The MF is not a child, but merely a diabolical box of metal and plastic crap designed to drive men mad!:eek:

Scott Patterson
12-18-2009, 09:24 AM
I updated to IE 8 on XP a few months back and have not had any issues, other than a conflict with an older version of an Adobe program and that has now been updated and the problem/conflict is gone.

Have you been downloading the updated for XP and IE? Seems like the have some almost every week!

I have Firefox on standby for when things go awry, but I have not used it in a long long time.

My wife has an Mac and she just laughs at me! ;)

Ted Menelly
12-18-2009, 09:24 AM
TM: Now there is a novel, however quaint, notion. The MF is not a child, but merely a diabolical box of metal and plastic crap designed to drive men mad!:eek:

It is listening to you.....shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

A.D. Miller
12-18-2009, 09:28 AM
I updated to IE 8 on XP a few months back and have not had any issues, other than a conflict with an older version of an Adobe program and that has now been updated and the problem/conflict is gone.

Have you been downloading the updated for XP and IE? Seems like the have some almost every week!

I have Firefox on standby for when things go awry, but I have not used it in a long long time.

My wife has an Mac and she just laughs at me! ;)

SP: At the height of my foaming-at-the-mouth frustration I did uninstall IE7 and install IE8. It did solve the save picture as issue and then created its own problem by not opening .pdf files. What is a mother to do?:confused:

Scott Patterson
12-18-2009, 09:33 AM
SP: At the height of my foaming-at-the-mouth frustration I did uninstall IE7 and install IE8. It did solve the save picture as issue and then created its own problem by not opening .pdf files. What is a mother to do?:confused:

Un ha, that was the problem I was talking about!

I downloaded a patch and I also updated my Adobe program. It was one of the two that took care of the problem.

A.D. Miller
12-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Un ha, that was the problem I was talking about!

I downloaded a patch and I also updated my Adobe program. It was one of the two that took care of the problem.

SP: OK, I'll look for that patch . . .

John Arnold
12-18-2009, 10:31 AM
...My wife has an Mac and she just laughs at me! ;)

My wife has a Mac and is very smug about it, but she does a lot more swearing at her machine than I do mine (Dell).

I only use IE when I have to. Firefox works fine for me.

A.D. Miller
12-18-2009, 10:46 AM
My wife has a Mac and is very smug about it, but she does a lot more swearing at her machine than I do mine (Dell).

I only use IE when I have to. Firefox works fine for me.

JA: All Mac addicts are smug due to the nature of the drug. Religion has that effect on everyone involved.

I took your advice, installed Firefox, all is well.

Thanks.:D

A.D. Miller
12-18-2009, 10:50 AM
JA: OK, I take that back. It fried all of my favorites which now point to BBC pages. Must be Limeys about . . .

Richard Soundy
12-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Somewhat surprised not seeing any recommendations on Google Chrome!

I have always thought IE was garbage, when "chrome" was still a beta release, tried it and was surprised how easy it was, so simple and it has never given me trouble...

Richard S.

Ron Bibler
12-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Bagdad Bob... Have look at your Registry? I have had Registry error.

Google Registry error repair. they have down load program the can fix your error's $ 25.00 for a one year of coverage.

I had my EX working just fine and then some programs just stop working do to error's

Best

Ron

A.D. Miller
12-18-2009, 01:47 PM

Google Registry error repair. they have down load program the can fix your error's $ 25.00 for a one year of coverage.

I had my EX working just fine and then some programs just stop working do to error's

Best

Ron

RB: I'm not so sure I want a $25 software googling around in my registry.:D But, thanks for the thought! Firefox was my fix - for now - saved a firefight.

Ted Menelly
12-18-2009, 03:25 PM

Best

Ron

I have an EX that some of her programs stopped working as well. I guess that is why she is an EX :confused:

Mitchell Toelle
12-18-2009, 03:37 PM
RB: I'm not so sure I want a $25 software googling around in my registry.:D But, thanks for the thought! Firefox was my fix - for now - saved a firefight.

A.D.,

There are lots of good registry programs out there...some for free...but I wouldn't trust those neccessarily. I have used a program called "Registry Booster 2" made by Uniblue for a couple of years now. I run it about every week or so and it finds registry problems everytime...more if you wait a few weeks. Have not had conflicts of any sort since using it. I run XP on my laptop and Vista on my other 2 (laptop and PC) and it works flawlessly each time.

I'm not saying use this one, but I am saying invest in a good registry correction software. It will save you a world of headache in the future.

Also, actively run updates periodically from MS so that you are better protected...especially if you continue to use IE 7 or 8.

Good luck.

A.D. Miller
12-18-2009, 03:56 PM
MT and RB: I have acquaintances who are either current or retired (do they ever?) hackers who have told me that "registry-cleaning" programs are devastating for PCs. I have made many changes to my registry, but only after clearing it with two or three folks who know.

Mitchell Toelle
12-18-2009, 05:14 PM
A.D.,

Although what your hack (er) friends are telling you may be true for some registry cleaning programs, it simply can't be true for all programs. These software makers (the serious, responsible ones) have a vested interest in there product doing a good job at what they are claiming. Future sales rely on past success...just like our industry.

I guess I'm just saying that there are fine programs out there and that you should not have fears because some hack(er) told you they were all devastating for PC's. I will go a step further and recommend the one I said I have been using for 2 years...on an XP machine...and Vista machines...without error. Each time you clean your registry you have the option of backing up your registry...it almost forces you to...then if any problems after cleaning you can simply do a restore and go from there.

The company name and software name are in my previous post. Everyone should be doing this kind of maintenance...just as they should be backing up stuff and defragging on a routine basis.

Jack Feldmann
12-18-2009, 11:03 PM
I'll just sit here sipping the cool aid. :-)

I think my Dell is too old to switch to 7, so I'm not sure if I will buy a new one or not. I have to say that just about all of my computer issues and headaches come from my Dell machine.

I was in Sams yesterday looking at the notebooks and laptops and one of the laptops had the screen images upside down. I'm sure someone did it as a prank, but I have no idea where in the control panel you could do that. pretyt odd.

Sorry AD for your problems, I don't wish computer problems on anyone, PC or Mac. Well, maybe Nicko.

A.D. Miller
12-19-2009, 05:47 AM
I'll just sit here sipping the cool aid. :-)

I think my Dell is too old to switch to 7, so I'm not sure if I will buy a new one or not. I have to say that just about all of my computer issues and headaches come from my Dell machine.

I was in Sams yesterday looking at the notebooks and laptops and one of the laptops had the screen images upside down. I'm sure someone did it as a prank, but I have no idea where in the control panel you could do that. pretyt odd.

Sorry AD for your problems, I don't wish computer problems on anyone, PC or Mac. Well, maybe Nicko.

JF: I'll try Windows 7 whenever they pry XP from my cold dead hands.

The netbook I bought in October has something called Screen Toys which will change the orientation of the monitor. This is useful when using the netbook to read books, especially sitting in an airlines coach seat.

Erby Crofutt
12-19-2009, 10:00 AM
You think YOU got computer problems? Read about this poor fella's experience!
================================================== ==
A few months ago, I upgraded from DrinkingMates 4.2 to Girlfriend 1.0...
... which I had been told for years wouldn't give me any trouble. However, there are apparently conflicts between these two products and the only solution was to try to run Girlfriend 1.0 with the sound turned off.

To make matters worse, Girlfriend 1.0 is incompatible with several other applications, such as LadsNightOut 3.1, Football 4.5, and Playboy 6.9. Successive versions of Girlfriend 1.0 (i.e. 1.001 thru 1.999) proved no better!

I tried a shareware program, Slapper 2.1, but it had many bugs and left a virus in my system, forcing me to shut down completely for several weeks.

Eventually, I tried to run the new Girlfriend 1.2 and Girlfriend 1.0 at the same time, only to discover that when these two systems detected each other they caused severe damage to my hardware.

I eventually upgraded to Fiancée 1.0, only to discover that this product soon had to be upgraded further to Wife 1.0. While Wife 1.0 tends to use up all my available resources, it does at least come bundled with CleanHouse 2007.

Shortly after this upgrade however, I found that Wife 1.0 could be very unstable and extremely costly to run. Any mistakes I made were automatically stored in Wife 1.0's memory and could not be deleted. They then resurfaced months later when I had forgotten about them.

Wife 1.0 also has an automatic Diary, Explorer and E-mail filter, and can, without warning, launch TurboStrop and Whine 2. Worse still, these latter products have no Help files, and I have to try and guess what the problem is.

Additional problems are that Wife 1.0 needs updating regularly requiring Adobe ShoeShop, HandBag Searcher and Hairstyle Express, all of which need to be reinstalled every other week.

Also, when Wife 1.0 attaches itself to my Audi TT hard drive, it often crashes.

Wife 1.0 also comes with an irritating pop-up called Mother-in-law, which can't be turned off.

I've recently been tempted to install Mistress 2007, but I've heard there could be problems. A friend of mine has alerted me to the fact that if Wife 1.0 detects Mistress 2007 it tends to take total control of your IP address and then permanently locks you out while acquiring all of your shared resources.

==============================
And then there's this lady's experience!
==============================
Dear Tech Support,
Last year I upgraded from Boyfriend 5.0 to Husband 1.0.

What I have noticed is a slow down in the performance of the flower and jewelry applications, which had operated flawlessly under the Boyfriend 5.0 system.

In addition, Husband 1.0 un-installed many other valuable programs, such as Romance 9.9, but installed undesirable programs such as Sport 7.3, NFL 3.2 and Tennis 4.1. Conversation 8.0 also no longer runs and Housecleaning 2.6 simply crashes the system.

I've tried running Nagging 5.3 to fix these problems, but to no avail. What can I do?

Your faithfully
Desperate Susan

Reply from Tech Support

Dear Desperate Susan,
First, keep in mind that Boyfriend 5.0 was an entertainment package, while Husband 1.0 is an operating system. Try to enter the command C:/I THOUGHT YOU LOVED ME and install Tears 6.2. Husband 1.0 should then automatically run the applications: Guilt 3.3 and Flowers 7.5.

But remember, overuse can cause Husband 1.0 to default to such background applications as Grumpy Silence 2.5, Happy Hour 7.0, or Beer 6.1. Please remember that Beer 6.1 is a very bad program that will create Snoring Loudly.WAV files.

DO NOT install Mother-In-Law 1.0 or reinstall another Boyfriend program. These are not supported applications and will crash Husband 1.0.

It could also potentially cause Husband 1.0 to default to the program: Girlfriend 9.2, which runs in the background and has been known to introduce viruses into the Operating System.

In summary, Husband 1.0 is a great program, but it does have a limited memory and can't learn new applications quickly. You might consider buying additional software to enhance his system performance. I personally recommend Home Cooking 3.0 and Single Malt Scotch 4.5.

Finally consider applications such as Lingerie 6.9 (which has been credited with improved performance of his hardware).

Good Luck
Tech Support

=====================================

And YOU thought YOU had problems!

Phillip Smith
12-20-2009, 06:49 AM
PS: Single or double blade?

I prefer a double blade.:D

Mike Schulz
12-21-2009, 05:33 PM
IE 7 would take so long to load it drove me crazy. It also came to the point where I had to open two browser windows while one was blank the other would open. If not open two it would just lock up. I like Fire Fox and haven/t had a problem. Would like a better spell checker like IE ad on though

Bob Elliott
12-21-2009, 09:46 PM
IE 7 would take so long to load it drove me crazy. It also came to the point where I had to open two browser windows while one was blank the other would open. If not open two it would just lock up. I like Fire Fox and haven/t had a problem. Would like a better spell checker like IE ad on though

Chrome is the fastest.

Now allows extensions.

Richard Soundy
12-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Yes - chrome, as a percentage of market share one of the fastest growing browsers as well, since release!