PDA

View Full Version : inspection snakes

Hunter Hoffman
12-28-2009, 08:12 AM
I'm considering different inspection " snakes" Milwaukee has several and rigid makes one I'm just starting out and money is a big issue right now. Looking at a Milwaukee 2300-20 M-specter vs rigid see snake and others has anyone used the Milwaukee? I see altypes of comments on the Rigid and they are all over the place good and bad. Comments?

Jim Luttrall
12-28-2009, 08:27 AM
I bought one over a year ago (Rigid See Snake) in a moment of weakness when they were on clearance.
I have never had it out of the truck on an inspection.
Which reminds me, I need to check and remove the batteries.
I like the idea of having it available but just found a real world use or need for it.

Unless you have some specific need, IMHO, save your money.

Hunter Hoffman
12-28-2009, 08:42 AM
I bought one over a year ago (Rigid See Snake) in a moment of weakness when they were on clearance.
I have never had it out of the truck on an inspection.
Which reminds me, I need to check and remove the batteries.
I like the idea of having it available but just found a real world use or need for it.

Hum clearance ?

Dan Harris
12-28-2009, 08:52 AM

I agree, I thought it was a cool tool that I could not do without, and bought one a year or so ago, played with it one time, loaned it to another inspector a few weeks later, haven't found a need for it since.
One of these days I probley should see if the other inspector want's to buy it :)

Jim Luttrall
12-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Hum clearance ?
Yep, it was one of the first models that HD had on clearance to make room for the new model.

Hunter Hoffman
12-28-2009, 09:24 AM
This is interesting I too thought I would need it.

Hunter Hoffman
12-28-2009, 09:26 AM
I think sometime being from 32 years of construction I think far beyond what the purpose of a home inspector is supposed to do.

Ron Bibler
12-28-2009, 09:47 AM
I have the ridged with a 9mm very nice unit I use it all the time. on Infrared jobs or looking for termites in walls.

I think it was around $ 750.00 new. worth every dime.

Buy the best and when you need to see something you can see it...

Best

Ron

Markus Keller
12-28-2009, 10:22 AM
I have the older model see snake that came out a couple years ago. I use it regularly, it is always with on inspections. I don't like to move stoves on wood floors or countersets. Seesnake to the rescue. I can see the gas line and shut-off without moving the unit. I stick it inside of ducts or other locations when I'm suspicious.
Many a client has been thrilled and RE horrified to see the problem on the little screen. Instead of a report that says, maybe, sort of, recommend further evaluation, blah, blah, BS.
If you tend to get fairly decent housing to look at it probably won't be a needed tool for you. If you look at a lot of crap or NC, then maybe.
The seesnake is really the bottom of the barrel model. It works, is helpful and the screen is Ok. For the price I like it. Orientation of the head and picture takes some real practice. I will upgrade to a better model at some point.

Hunter Hoffman
12-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the Milwaukee brand?

Michael Thomas
12-28-2009, 11:53 AM
I had a first generation SeeSnake, and used it often, recently broke off the head.

I replaced it with a "Micro-Explorer" at around 3X the price. Nice unit, but it broke after about 3 weeks (would not power up) and it went back to Amazon.

Replacing it, I'll likely opt for one of the less expensive and less capable units.

IMO, the big limitation of current generation devices is that manufactures are trying to design a single device to 1) l fit through a very small opening and 2) be effectively operated around corners and maneuvered around obstacles at a distance of several feet to scan a wide area with a considerable depth of field.

Unfortunately, a device that works well to slide in beside an electrical box to see the sheathing and insulation 2" directly in front of it it does not work very well pushed up into a ceiling under a leak get a 360 view looking down 20' of joist cavity - and vice versa. As Markus notes, the big difficulty is that current units are difficult to orient and "aim" during the second type of inspection , especially if you are "going around a corner", are trying to look at something not directly in your initial immediate line of sight, and/or that requires observation across a considerable depth of field.

So at the moment (in my experience) while the 9mm heads can do a B+ job of 1), even the larger heads do no better than a C- at 2, and I do a lot more 2) than 1) at inspections.

Now, give me a unit with 1) a 3x optical zoom 2) a focus range of 2"-30' 3) a 180 degree pan and tilt head 4) a "always up" display and 4) adequate lighting across the entire depth of field that 5) will fit thought a 3/4 opening, and I'll gladly shell out the extra $500 or more - because that's what is often needed at my inspections.

John Kogel
12-28-2009, 11:55 AM
I use my camera in places I can't see readily with the naked eye.
There is rarely a handy hole for a see-snake during a normal home inspection, and not much extra time to fiddle with gadgets, I find.
Once or twice a year, in a specialized situation, I have considered borrowing one from an inspector I know who never uses his. :)
Keep your toys hidden in the truck. If you arrive armed with gadgets, you will be expected to use them every time to find everything. In other words, "What's your excuse for not searching all the wall cavities until you found that tiny pocket of bad stuff?":confused:

Michael Thomas
12-28-2009, 12:13 PM
FWIW, my clients rarely have any idea what most of the stuff in my bag is used for.

Jim Luttrall
02-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Just came across this on Amazon.com
Amazon.com: Milwaukee 2300-20 M-Spector Digital Inspection Camera, AA Battery Powered: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AOVBHG/ref=s9_cxwsh_co_tr01?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=0BCVJTEGVYYMJYHMPXW9&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=493495311&pf_rd_i=typ01)
for Milwaukee M-Spector camera for $99. Was $342, Limited stock.

mathew stouffer
02-08-2010, 09:10 AM
I want one now. Could have used it to look in a flex duct yesterday when I notice some debris in there. So rigid makes a good one?

Hunter Hoffman
02-09-2010, 05:04 AM
Your going to laugh but I found one a Harbor Freight on sale a nd 20 percent cupon for 70.00 I had to return two to get one that worked but it worked well and can determine if I'l use it befor I buy a expensive one that will take photo's too.

A.D. Miller
02-09-2010, 06:14 AM
Just came across this on Amazon.com
Amazon.com: Milwaukee 2300-20 M-Spector Digital Inspection Camera, AA Battery Powered: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AOVBHG/ref=s9_cxwsh_co_tr01?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=0BCVJTEGVYYMJYHMPXW9&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=493495311&pf_rd_i=typ01)
for Milwaukee M-Spector camera for $99. Was $342, Limited stock.

JL: While perhaps a good unit, this is not really a camera. It is merely a viewer. "Camera" in my mind indcates that it records photos. This unit does not.

Jim Luttrall
02-09-2010, 07:17 AM
JL: While perhaps a good unit, this is not really a camera. It is merely a viewer. "Camera" in my mind indcates that it records photos. This unit does not.
True, I have a similar Rigid model. It will let you see the image from the remote location but it does not have provision to capture and transfer the image which does limit its value but this is about half the price I paid. Maybe the latest and greatest have the image capture technology.
I still have not used mine after having it in the truck for over a year, so although I could envision myriad uses when I convinced myself to buy it. :rolleyes:

Rick Bunzel
02-09-2010, 09:42 AM
I too thought it was a cool tool to have in my bag but have to agree with Jim and Dan. Nice to have but not needed on 99% of the jobs. As someone else eluded to once you start using it on jobs you are no longer doing a visual inspection and then you open yourself to the "why didn't you use your snake camera to see the supply line leak behind the Sub-Zero?"

Think about the tools that we use on every job and compare that to all the tools you carry? If I really wanted to simplify what I carry in my bag I could cut back to a TIF, a Moisture Meter and depth gauge for siding.

//Rick

FHA Compliance Inspections (http://www.paccrestinspections.com/FHA-compliance-inspection.htm)