PDA

View Full Version : Fireplace Wood to Gas

David Banks
06-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks to Bob and Dale I now look like mad man for Data plates. This Heatilator data plate says wood only.

Michael Thomas
06-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Man, now *there's* potential liability if you don't know to look...

Bob Harper
06-21-2007, 07:54 PM
David, if you have this info. you can contact HG Tech Services and they can fax or email an install manual. Many things to consider with these units.

OK, yes, I think this particular unit was wood only. This is due in part to the unique arrangement of glass on 3 sides with one long and 2 short sides insteado of the more common "penninsula" style with 2 long and a short end. It may also have simply been money. These units had a very small market niche to start with. It has since been discontinued. They may not have had the extra money to test it for a log lighter or gas logs.

That wood mantel shelf has to go. Appears to be lapped over the black metal face. This unit may have a sidewall clearance that requires it be built out from the wall so there isn't the radiant heat on those walls. That includes the hearth extension usually projecting back behind the unit about 6" as it wraps around. I don't see room for the floor protection under that hearth extension. Probably don't have a Z bend spark flashing from under firebox, down riser and under HX. Defintely don't have clearance to that bongo drum or kids toy.

With the combustible child-proof lock out on the doors, I would check to see if that pilot was lit. If so, they could burn the house down, shatter the glass, or fill the house with CO and BPM.

As for the gas controls, hard to tell what's going on. I see a Robertshaw thermopile only-type millivolt valve and some black iron that looks like a jungle gym. Is this a vented gas log set or did somebody get creative and go freestyle? Is the damper clamped wide open? Soot on both sides of the damper valve plate?

Can't wait to see the termination or pics from the attic. Got any more David?

Glad we're having an impact.

David Banks
06-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Bob. Gas was turned off. Owner says fireplace not working.(Realtor) Damper was open. Cathedral ceiling so no access in attic. A few more pics. Thats all I have.

tim lull
12-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi there love the shroud