PDA

View Full Version : makes you weep

John Arnold
06-22-2007, 06:03 AM
Aren't them holes left between bricks to run phone lines and cable and such inside?!

Tim Moreira
06-22-2007, 06:41 AM
When there's a will...there's a way.

:)

Scott Patterson
06-22-2007, 07:11 AM
Any bets that they drilled right on through the flashing!

Richard Rushing
06-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Scott,

That's exactly what has happened EVERY time I've see that same situation.

Only a numb-skull would do that!! :mad:

Rich

Jerry Peck
06-22-2007, 04:56 PM
That's when a borescope comes in handy.

I've had my clients look through there and explained what they were seeing: 'that lighter stuff which looks lumpy is the mortar, that should be there; that darker stuff is the felt paper on the sheathing, that should be there; that light powdery stuff and that shiny light circle, that's the sheathing where they drilled through water/drainage plane, the felt paper, and drilled into the sheathing. NOW everything will rot out for sure.'

Typically, my clients would say 'Can I look in another one?'

After looking in several, they stand up and say 'All of the holes are the same way, they drilled all the way through, it will leak for sure now!'

Oh how the real estate agents hated me allowing my clients to look in dem dar holes! :)

Then my clients would ask 'How do you fix it?'

I would reply with 'The only way I know is to have a brick mason come in and remove the brick in those areas and install a new and proper through the wall flashing, and the brick mason may say he really needs to start at one side of the house and work his way all the way around the house, removing several feet of brick at a time, several courses up, I suggest you call a brick mason and have them look at it and give a ballpark price, I'm sure it will be a *time and material* job, though.'