PDA

View Full Version : Question about Business License

Luis Sanabria
01-11-2010, 11:44 AM
I have just recieved my 7c Technicians license and I registered with the county and recieved my NPMA-33 termite inspection forms. I also got my EIN number. Now I made ALOT of call and most of the poeple said that I do not need a Business License number since my business will be one that solely does Termite Inspections. I had 1 person say that I need to get a home improvement license and insure my business if I want to do inspections and apply chemical. I live in new york state. I've called HUD and left a message, but they never got back to me. If anyone can help, please let me know I really want to start this business and quit my other job making like 9 an hour. The guy from the DEC said that I will just only have to put my T number in the box where it says businesss license number. Please help me out if you can!

John Dirks Jr
01-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Have you thought about consulting with an attorney?

Jerry Peck
01-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Now I made ALOT of call and most of the poeple said that I do not need a Business License number since my business will be one that solely does Termite Inspections.

By "Business License" do you mean "Occupational License" or a business license from the state?

MOST places will require you to have an occupational license.

In Florida, for pest control operators, you will need to have BOTH the pest control operators license AND the business license from the state, AND an occupational license from the city/town your business is located in, along with a county occupational license from the county your office is located in.

Not sure what New York requires, but I first wanted to clarify which type of "business license" you are referring to, then someone in New York will be able to offer better help.

Luis Sanabria
01-18-2010, 09:45 PM
No, just a business license number. I contacted an attorney and he told me to call HUD, since it's thier form. I called hud and its been 2 weeks with me calling/emailing them and them doing nonthing. Its pretty frustrating, because I wanna make some money.

I just need to know what to put on the NPMA-33 WDI form where it says business license number. I called DEC and one guy said that I was good and to just put my pesticide number. Another guy said to put N/A because I am a company that solely does terminte inspections. And another one told me to called HUD. Yea, I've called 3 times because I really want to make sure.

If anyone knows, please call me 1631-645-5579 or email me vctrfs@yahoo.com

Jim Luttrall
01-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Does New York state regulate pest control? That is where you need to start. Who issued your license?

Luis Sanabria
01-18-2010, 10:55 PM
My licensed is given from me from the DEC. Every state has pest control regulations, but this form is a HUD form, I've tried to contact them for the past 2 weeks, and I've gotten nonthing.

I'm just going to start doing inspections and put N/A on the Business license part of the form.

My company is one that only does termite inspections and applies no chemicals.

Jim Luttrall
01-19-2010, 10:17 AM
I don't know what DEC is,
My licensed is given from me from the DEC but I can only assume they are the state agency that regulates pest control and that there is a number on that license, no?

Phillip Stojanik
01-19-2010, 11:01 AM
You might consider calling one of your competitors. If you find someone who is not threatened by the possibility of a little competion you can likley get some straight answers. You could even look someone up that is well out of your perspective service area and them know you are not going to be competing with them.

Surely there is a decent person out there in your line of work with the knowledge and experience that is willing to help put you on the right path.

Best of luck to you and welcome to the wonderful world of business regulation!

Jim Luttrall
01-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Best of luck to you and welcome to the wonderful world of business regulation!
That made me think of my chuckle from yesterday when I stopped in the local convenience store for my morning shot of caffeine and right next to the cooler was their permit board that was about 3'x3' and overflowing with permits of every shape size and color from the state, city, county, feds regulating everything from the gas pumps to the food service. What this county needs is a few more regulations and taxes!:D

Jerry Peck
01-19-2010, 05:14 PM
The guy from the DEC said that I will just only have to put my T number in the box where it says businesss license number.

I would NOT just put NA in the business license box and charge money for the inspection ... if the report is not accepted you will be refunding a lot of money (all the money you were paid).

Instead do what you said you were told to do - see the above quote: (underlining is mine) "The guy from the DEC said that I will just only have to put my T number in the box where it says businesss license number."

Luis Sanabria
01-20-2010, 02:14 PM
I called the "competition" about 4 companies and none of them really knew nonthing.I even called my EX-stepfather who I hate and he said $&*^, he lost his license because he was doing alot of illegal things. I KNOW he is still doing termite work, but I dunno how to report him. One guy said he did'nt have the time( I think he hates competition).

So I am going to just put my T number like jerry said.

I was on the phone for roughly 2 hours yesterday and going back and forth between poeple. I called EVERY local office and state office. Its going on Week 3 and HUD has'nt responded back to me. I don't understand how a "Yes" or "No, you have to do_____" would be such a problem for HUD.

I'll keep you guys updated if I have a problem with anything, for future Termite Inspection Companies(sole propietorship) that are starting and have questions.