PDA

View Full Version : got a match?

John Arnold
06-22-2007, 11:00 AM
All right, now, for some of you guys who haven't been doing this for very long, I want you to take a good look at this photo and see if you can recognize the subtle signs of a gas service pipe that may be near the end of its useful life, and should be evaluated further by a qualified contractor.

David Banks
06-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Nope do not see any subtle signs.:)

James Duffin
06-22-2007, 01:35 PM
I don't think you can solder a valve in a gas line.

Jerry Peck
06-22-2007, 08:49 PM
I don't think you can solder a valve in a gas line.

You are not allowed to, so that is (I'm guessing) a water line.

Which means the gas line must be the rusted out thing below (which I thought might have been a cast iron sewer line).

"and should be evaluated further by a qualified contractor."

No, John, "and should be REPAIRED by a qualified contractor."

If you are referring to the top pipe, and if it's really a gas line, it's wrong, dead wrong - and needs to be replaced.

If you are referring to the bottom pipe, and if it's really a gas line, it needs to be repaired or replaced. (From the photo, I'd say "replaced".)

John Arnold
06-23-2007, 04:29 AM
I must not have been sarcastic enough.
Yes, the bottom rotted out thing is the gas pipe. I've never seen one like that before.
And of course it doesn't need any more "evaluation", just replacement, possibly all the way out to the gas main under the street.

Bob Harper
06-23-2007, 10:23 AM
What's sad is someone had to sweat that 3/4" WOG valve in above it. If you are a plumber and see that crap below, why would you bring a torch into the room? Let me guess, he tested it first with a match.....

John, was that gas pipe in direct contact with that soggy foundation wall? Also, I'm guessing inadequate support of the pipe.

Unfortunately, I see good work next to bad all the time. It's the American way!

John Arnold
06-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Bob - It was a soggy basement and I imagine that pipe was probably covered with wet crap for years.
And after putting in that new copper line and valve - they were about to connect it to cpvc.
This was a flip/rehab with typical awful work.