PDA

View Full Version : Need QUICK advice!

Shawn Watkins
01-12-2010, 02:57 PM
I need to return a bid for an inspection on (2) 15 unit apartment buildings. They are on slab, each unit is a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom. This will be my first apartment; however, I have done several townhouses. How do ya'll normally price these inspections and what are some of the things to look for on apartments? Thanks so much in advance!

Scott Patterson
01-12-2010, 03:09 PM
I need to return a bid for an inspection on (2) 15 unit apartment buildings. They are on slab, each unit is a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom. This will be my first apartment; however, I have done several townhouses. How do ya'll normally price these inspections and what are some of the things to look for on apartments? Thanks so much in advance!

I charge a base fee for the complex and then a per unit fee.

Base fee of $650 for the complex and then $55 per unit. This is my typical price for a small complex like this. The price also depends on what the client wants.

I will not quote a price until I take a look at the complex. I have had too many surprises over the years!

At this price and for this size apartment you should spend about 5-10 minutes in each unit. On a few you might spend a little more time, it is not like a typical home inspection. You are going to be reporting on the overall condition of the apartment. Also, you are only at the complex for a period of time (that day only), so if you can't get into a unit too bad, you still charge for it. With 30 units I would say you can plan on not being able to get into 3-4 of them.

Brandon Whitmore
01-12-2010, 03:10 PM
I figure out how many hours the job will take and multiply that by my hourly fee. Depending on how badly I want the job from there, I may either add or subtract a percentage.

Gunnar Alquist
01-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Length of inspection depends on how quickly you take notes. I figure on 30-40 minutes per unit. This means at least 8 hours to do the interiors of each building. The exteriors usually will take me a couple of hours. Writing the report is another half day each. You are looking at a minimum of 3 days to inspect and report. Price accordingly.

Shawn Watkins
01-12-2010, 03:36 PM
ok, thanks guys for the quick response.

Mike Gault
01-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Fritz - at 4140.00 for your "bid" I'm guessing you don't do many of these :-)

Call it about two days work, figure an hourly rate and add or subtract depending on the 'report' desired for each unit/building.

As low as 2100 or as high as 2800 (give or take a tad)...

YMMV...
-Mike

Ted Menelly
01-12-2010, 09:17 PM
It is surprising how little time those buildings take to inspect and report. Those 2 combined buildings should not take more than 2 days to inspect and report.

Unit numbers coincide with pictures. Do the outside and take your pictures and make a quick note on each picture. Do all the units in the same manner. Go home. Do your report, Email it off. Maybe 2 days. Even at the equivalent of 4 decent size home inspections ans say 500 per.

2000 for 2 day or push it up with a termite inspection.

Scott Patterson
01-12-2010, 09:29 PM
If you have ever done a 2/1 apartment unit then you know that you are in and out in around 10 minutes. It does not take long to look at a nasty 500sf apartment! I can't tell you how many times I have gone in with site rep and found folks sleeping in their bed, floor and even in a bath tub. If they are sleeping in the room, I don't go in.