PDA

View Full Version : Chimneys falling from earthquake

Denny Waters
01-15-2010, 10:27 AM
So we had a 6.5 here in Eureka a week or so ago. Our town held up fairly well, but I have seen quite a few of those chimneys that slope to the ridge in the attic and make mention of them possibly not making it through a strong earthquake in my reports.

Jerry Peck
01-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Denny,

My wife and I were out there in your area at the beginning of October as we have friends in McKinleyville.

We called them after the earthquake and they said they were okay but there was some damage around them.

chris mcintyre
01-15-2010, 05:39 PM
I have seen quite a few of those chimneys that slope to the ridge in the attic.......

Denny I'm not clear on what this means, could you explain.

Bruce Breedlove
01-15-2010, 09:02 PM
I think he is talking about something like this:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachments/fireplaces-chimneys-solid-fuel-burning-appliances-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/1548d1182726290-100-corbeled-chimney-corbel03.jpg

chris mcintyre
01-15-2010, 09:27 PM
I think he is talking about something like this:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachments/fireplaces-chimneys-solid-fuel-burning-appliances-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/1548d1182726290-100-corbeled-chimney-corbel03.jpg

:eek: Why in the world would you do that!

Corn Walker
01-16-2010, 07:58 AM
:eek: Why in the world would you do that!

I don't know why they would do it as they did in that picture, but on those I've seen the corbel is so the chimney penetrates the roof at the ridge.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
01-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Avoiding the hip/ridge. Maintaining structural integrity of the roof - location of the penetration.

Avoiding other vents/windows/openings.

Allowing area for proper cricket and flashing the penetration.

Leeward winds, draft issues, avoiding other projections/walls.

Protecting view of chimney from the street (local zoning ordinances).

Other reasons for change in direction to locate termination of chimney.