PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help

Richard Roshak
01-16-2010, 04:52 PM
I don't know what to say about this installation. Plastic drain is for a dehumidifier. The pipe has been installed on the street side of the U trap with a check valve. If the trap dries out does the check valve provide enough of a seal to prevent sewer gases from entering the home?

Billy Stephens
01-16-2010, 07:23 PM
I don't know what to say about this installation. Plastic drain is for a dehumidifier. The pipe has been installed on the street side of the U trap with a check valve. If the trap dries out does the check valve provide enough of a seal to prevent sewer gases from entering the home?
Apparent Amateur Installation noted using questionable materials for this Application.

*Apparent Use of Automotive Type Clamp Connectors. ( Not Approved for this Application.)
* Check Value ( check values are used for the prevention of back flowing liquid and are set for specific pressures to accomplish this function ) Sewer Gas could bypass and enter the home.

william siegel
01-16-2010, 08:05 PM
I looks like it may have already backed up once. I see stains on the wall.

David Bell
01-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Remove check valve ,install trap primer, vent properly,,, and whats the coffee can for? Bailing out the pit?

Bob Harper
01-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Wouldn't a trap primer require backflow prevention including accessibility for inspection, testing and servicing?

Also, anybody familiar with the Trap Guard product? It claims to hold all the approvals including for outdoor use where a trap could freeze or if a mop string stuck in it.

Just askin'
Bob

David Bell
01-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Flow thru trap primers need no back flo preventers, as they are not being used on a pressurized system, they can be placed at the nearest fixture supply line and give the trap a "spurt" when a supply is opened and closed.

Steven Saville
01-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Improper DIY installation and should be removed.

Ideally the dehumidifier should drain to a sump pump basin which would then discharge to outdoor surface. If a sump pump does not exist, a condensate pump smilar to one used on HVAC could be used to pump condensate to ground surface.

Many juristictions forbid the discharge of condensate from dehumidifiers and HVAC sysems into sanitary sewer systems.

Ron Hasil
01-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Other than the fact that they are using a clean out access for a drain, there is no vent for the P-trap they installed. It just does not meet the plumbing code period.