PDA

View Full Version : Beam

Jeff Eastman
06-22-2007, 04:04 PM

Bruce Breedlove
06-22-2007, 06:26 PM
The tip of a 16 foot beam, appears cut at 45 degrees, is supporting a 2x6 laying flat. This is wrong correct?

I can't make heads nor tails of this.

Which is the 16' beam? The member coming in from the left or the other one?

How is the beam cut at 45°? Is the bottom of the beam shorter than the top. Top shorter than the bottom? One side shorter than the other?

You say the beam is supporting a 2X6. (Perhaps you meant to say the beam is supported by a 2X6.) Which member is the 2X6? Is it the member laid flat below what may be the beam? Or is it the vertical member with the large knot?

Allow portions of the beam should be contacting the 2x6.

Allow what? I don't understand that.

To answer what I think you are asking . . . the beam must have proper end support of at least 1 1/2" across its width. I'm not sure which member above the 2X laid flat is the beam in question but it is not properly supported (whichever one it is).

wayne soper
06-22-2007, 06:44 PM
is that a valley?

Jim Luttrall
06-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Bruce, I think the word "beam" is what is throwing you off.
I THINK the vertical brace which is contacting the horizontal 2x that is totally in the picture frame is where the questions come in.
Poor workmanship in any case.
Jim

Richard Rushing
06-22-2007, 10:17 PM
I must have adult ADD...

I'm reading Jim's post to this thread and I'm also reading the word "Beam". The next thing that comes to mind is Jim Beam-- and I don't drink anymore (or less) either.:D

Rich

Bruce Breedlove
06-23-2007, 12:19 AM
I think you're right. I took "beam" to mean a "beam", not a "post". Foolish me!

beam - one of the principal horizontal supporting members of a building

post - a vertical structural member

Jeff, I'm not trying to beat you up here but if we have interpreted this correctly it would behoove you to brush up on the technical terms for basic structural components. (Just so you know, I have plenty of room for improvement in many areas myself.)

Richard Rushing
06-23-2007, 07:12 AM
No. Not an SE...

I would write as "In Need of Repair" by a experienced/ qualified framing contractor.

SE, in my opinion, is an over-kill.

RR

Jerry Peck
06-23-2007, 07:41 AM
No. Not an SE...

I would write as "In Need of Repair" by a experienced/ qualified framing contractor.

SE, in my opinion, is an over-kill.

RR

I agree.

Even a semi-experienced framing contractor should be able to figure that out and make a suitable repair.

Martin lehman
06-23-2007, 12:12 PM
What the heck is going on in that pic??? I really cannot tell.
Anyway, please correct me if I'm wrong here by any 2x lumber should not be considered a "post" and should not be bearing any significant load. I believe 4x lumber is the minimum demension that can have the name "post".
If that is a bearing member, I don't think a 2x6 is going to cut it.

Jerry Peck
06-23-2007, 12:25 PM
If that is a bearing member, I don't think a 2x6 is going to cut it.

It looks like a 2x6 with a 2x4 "T" brace on it (could even be a 2x6 brace, but I think it's a 2x4).

They are remarkably strong that way.

The 2x6 does not flex in its width dimension very much, and the 2x4 does not flex in its width very much, add the two at two planes and there will not be much flex in either plane. Compression resistance is very good because of that.

Unless, of course, you want to call in a structural engineer for that?

In South Florida, or even Ormond Beach, that would not fly ... er ... yes it would ... and that's the problem. It would all need to be strapped for uplift resistance ... so it would not fly away.