John Stephenson
06-22-2007, 04:15 PM

Rick Hurst
06-23-2007, 07:36 AM
You should move on to bigger issues.

JMHO

Phillip Stojanik
06-23-2007, 08:42 AM
If its going to be repaired at all it should be done correctly. In the first photo that would involve removing the cable end patch material and opening up the cable end pocket again. The end of the steel cable then needs to be greased and have a plastic end cap installed. Then grout the open cable end pocket back in with non-shrinking grout cement.

The second photo looks more like a nail that held one of the cable end flanges to the form board rather than a cable tendon end. If it is a cable end, then the above procedure all over again.

The way these will most likely be repaired if they are repaired at all will be to butter over the spots with a little more grout cement to hid the rusty spots that are forming.

Rick Hurst
06-23-2007, 08:59 AM
His weep holes are a bigger problem than that cable end (looks like a nail) in my opinion.

Richard Rushing
06-23-2007, 12:44 PM
The first one is a cable end... The only proper repair was described by Philip.

However, it is never done that way. The glazing cover is all that is ever done.

Nails... who cares. Like Rick H says, move on to bigger things.

Rich

Jerry Peck
06-23-2007, 12:50 PM
The first one is a cable end...

Man, that's the smallest cable I've ever seen.

I'd say it was the end of WWM, or ... a nail ...

Richard Rushing
06-23-2007, 03:05 PM
I guess it is the smallest you've ever seen, JP. :rolleyes:

That first one is definately a cable end. To the right of the cable end is a batter board nail and to the left is... No batter board nail (covered).

Rich

Jerry Peck
06-23-2007, 05:13 PM
I guess it is the smallest you've ever seen, JP. :rolleyes:

Rich,

I'm game ...

What size is that "cable"?

1"?

1/2"?

1/4"?

1/8"?

1/16"?

Richard Rushing
06-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Can't tell Jerry. The actual circumference (outside diameter) is covered. What you are seeing there is only part of the end (the inside part).

Are you saying that this is *NOT* a cable end???? :confused: Huh??

Rich

Phillip Stojanik
06-24-2007, 12:36 AM
Jerry,

The first photo does look to me like a grouping of the individual strands that make up the individual cable tendons. The steel in the tendons used around here are typically about ½ to 5/8 inch in diameter and are comprised of several individual strands about the thickness of a 16d nail each and all grouped together within a plastic sheathing. The sawn end of the cable looks just like that dot pattern in the first photo.

Are you seeing something different?

Jerry Peck
06-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Are you saying that this is *NOT* a cable end???? :confused: Huh??

Rich

Yep. That's what I'm saying.

Looks WAY TOO SMALL to be a cable end.

Jerry Peck
06-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Jerry,

The first photo does look to me like a grouping of the individual strands that make up the individual cable tendons.

It looked like a grouping of individual strands to me, however, a grouping of strands is not strands wrapped around a much larger single center cable - as would be with the pattern shown in that photo.

Besides ...

The steel in the tendons used around here are typically about ½ to 5/8 inch in diameter

If that "cable end" is 1/2" or 5/8" ... how big is that brick above it?

Look at the size of the 1/2" or 5/8" cable (assume that is what it is) and look at the relative size of that 3/8" mortar joint. Is that mortar joint, which is about twice as thick as that rust spot, really 1" or greater?

How big would that brick be if that mortar joint is 1" or greater? HUGE!

I really doubt it.

and are comprised of several individual strands about the thickness of a 16d nail each and all grouped together within a plastic sheathing. The sawn end of the cable looks just like that dot pattern in the first photo.

Are you seeing something different?

Yes.

I am seeing something smaller than 3/8" in diameter, maybe more like 3/16" to 1/4" in diameter or less.

Which is why I say it is not a cable - I've never seen a PT cable that small.

Jim Luttrall
06-24-2007, 09:47 AM
This is a small issue as Rick said, but I can't resist.
Jerry, are you looking at the same picture? I am looking at the left picture without the arrow.
"I " can't get any dimensions off of anything in that picture since it is stone, not brick and mortar joints will vary as will size of weeps.
The total end of the cable does not appear to be visible, it appears partially obscured by cement around the circumference, IMO.
The small rust spot a short distance to the right does appear the right size and location for a form nail.
I agree with others, this is the usual appearance of a cable end for post tension as is common to this local.
The right photo is just a nail.

Jerry Peck
06-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Jerry, are you looking at the same picture? I am looking at the left picture without the arrow.

You tell me. See attached drawing.

I agree with others, this is the usual appearance of a cable end for post tension as is common to this local.[/quote]

Please take a photo of the next cable end you see and post it for me, okay?

Thanks.

Richard Rushing
06-24-2007, 04:24 PM
You asked....

The one on the left in Johns picture looks like the one on the left in my photo below...

That IS a post tensioned cable. Again, not all of the cable is exposed.

Rich

Rick Hurst
06-24-2007, 05:18 PM
I think what is present in John's picture is the same as in the one below.

Nail heads.

Jerry Peck
06-24-2007, 06:40 PM
You asked....

The one on the left in Johns picture looks like the one on the left in my photo below...

Rich,

Nope.

John's photo does not look like that. In MY drawing, the left one looks like your cable, but John's photo looks like my right drawing - which does not look like your cable.

Richard Rushing
06-25-2007, 04:50 AM
Jerry, I don't know what your eyes are seeing....

But, the rest of us who see the real cables every day (and not some cartoon) are absolutely sure when we see the real deal.

Oh well... I'm sure you guys seen these every day too.

Rich

Jerry Peck
06-25-2007, 06:20 AM
Rich,

I'm seeing the same thing Rick is seeing. :)

Jim Luttrall
06-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Jerry, clean your glasses and take a closer look:D

Jim Luttrall
06-25-2007, 05:14 PM
now look at the picture:rolleyes:

Jerry Peck
06-25-2007, 06:31 PM
now look at the picture:rolleyes:

Right, like the RIGHT one in my drawing. :p

NOT like the left one, which shows a typical cable. :D

The only person who can answer this is John, and only then if he knows approximately how large that spot is, or what size the bricks/stones are.

It's nice to have a tape measure or something of size reference in the photo. :cool:

Thom Walker
06-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Which unit of measure tape; British, metric, or the one we use to estimate the size of our manhoods? If the latter is used, I would estimate its diameter at about 4 inches.:D