PDA

View Full Version : TPR air gap

Dom D'Agostino
04-01-2007, 05:07 AM
TPR air gap and photo test on the new forum.

Dom.

Brian Hannigan
04-01-2007, 05:10 AM
Congratulations Dom!

You are the first person to post on the new board.

I hope you like it!

Phillip Stojanik
04-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Dom,

I have to say that the piping configuration in your photos is very interesting indeed. It displays both a strong affinity for the "spirit of the code" while at the same time displaying a total disregard for the "letter of the code".

Of course, scientifically researching the presumed functionality of the presented configuration would cost many times more than just conforming to the "letter of the code".

After all, there is an atmospheric "air gap" present draining into that "indirect waste" piping at the temperature and pressure relief valve piping "termination" is there not?

And Code does not really "go" beyond the "proper" termination of the T&P piping does it? (except for grading and drainage issues). But then there is that pesky "outside" the structure issue isn't there?

On the other hand, Code does not define the acceptablity of a given "waste drain" specifically built for T&P "atmosphereic" discharge purposes in this circumstance does it?

Jerry Peck
04-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Dom,

Those aren't any good.

Did you open the T&P and test it?

Water spurts out of that air gap all over. At least is did from all the ones like it I've tested.

Like Phillip said ... trying to meet the 'intent' of the code without really understanding the 'reasoning' behind the 'wording' of the code.

An air gap is not just to serve as an atmospheric breaker (except for hose bibbs), but to serve as an 'air space' across which cross or back contamination will be prevented. Those may serve as an atmospheric air break, however, being as this is not a hose bibb, it needs back flow protection which will also provide an 'air gap' (i.e., and 'air space') which will prevent cross or back contamination.

william siegel
04-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Jerry,

That is very similar to the ones in Miami I have been fighting over. The building department, however (stupidly) is allowing them. They dont seem to care.

Tim Moreira
04-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Maybe that is supposed to vent the steam while the water goes to the drain. ;)

Scott Patterson
04-09-2007, 06:50 AM
It's also going into a PVC pipe that is not rated for that high of heat that will occur if the TPR releases.

Richard Rushing
04-09-2007, 07:15 AM
What Scott posted is the first thing that jumped out at me was the CPVC into PVC... It's just not rated for that temperature.

Richard

Jerry Peck
04-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Scott said: "It's also going into a PVC pipe that is not rated for that high of heat that will occur if the TPR releases."

Richard said: "What Scott posted is the first thing that jumped out at me was the CPVC into PVC... It's just not rated for that temperature."

Now wait just a minute guys ... :)

Didn't we just have a long thread and debate over the heat of the water going out the T&P discharge pipe?

Didn't you guys (or maybe it was someone else) tell me that it just dribbles and does not allow large amounts or HOT water or steam out? :D

Bill,

That's where I've seen them, except that I've always seen them doing it with copper.

I would open the valve and, astonished, 'GASP! IT'S LEAKING!', I would pronounce to my client and whomever else was nearby. They would all rush in and ask 'WHAT'S LEAKING?', then I would show them. :cool:

My client's never liked that and I recommended they call a plumber to correct it. The seller would say 'But it's never leaked before.'

Richard Rushing
04-09-2007, 11:43 AM
J.Peckl-- that was some OTHER kNuCkLeHeAd...:p

RR