PDA

View Full Version : Cracks in garage slab

dan orourke
06-23-2007, 09:11 AM

Phillip Stojanik
06-23-2007, 09:40 AM
In New construction the designing engineer should look at it if its anything more than RTS cracking...which this sounds like it is.

A "repair" may not be justified as yet but the cause should be identified so that the probability of worsening can be assessed. Certanily not off to a good start!

David Banks
06-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Not usually foundation company repair issue.If anything it would be SE. A lot of times they do not compact soil properly after being disturbed for foundation construction. It then can settle and get worse as Phil said.
I have seen them settle enough that you could place another 4 inch slab on top of settled one.
Look on the edges for the chalk line that was top of slab. Has slab settled below this line. Of course you have to verify slab was placed to this line, usually identified by concrete from slab.
Is this a foundation with slab poured between walls or slab on grade/monolithic?

Richard Rushing
06-23-2007, 12:40 PM
RTS is Repeated Thermal Shock.

Rich

Phillip Stojanik
06-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Actually by RTS I meant "Resistance To Shrinkage". Also known as "curing cracks" or just "shrinkage cracks".

I have not heard the term "Repeated Thermal Shock" before related to concrete cracks. Where did that come from Richard?