PDA

View Full Version : Black mold in ductwork and AC unit

Greg Hite
01-27-2010, 04:25 PM
I have a 30 year old 3/2 bath 1,333sf single-story rental in Tampa, FL and hired an HVAC service company to give me a quote to clean out my ductwork due to tobacco smoke odors from the previous renters and discovered black mold inside my 30 year-old ductwork and inside the 7 year-old AC unit located outside the house. Any suggestions for mold remediation (ozone, replace ductwork and clean out AC unit, etc.) and what approximate costs?

Thanks.

Gunnar Alquist
01-27-2010, 04:39 PM
I have a 30 year old 3/2 bath 1,333sf single-story rental in Tampa, FL and hired an HVAC service company to give me a quote to clean out my ductwork due to tobacco smoke odors from the previous renters and discovered black mold inside my 30 year-old ductwork and inside the 7 year-old AC unit located outside the house. Any suggestions for mold remediation (ozone, replace ductwork and clean out AC unit, etc.) and what approximate costs?

Thanks.

Greg,

What did your HVAC guy say? Are they willing to do the cleanup work?

I am speculating here, but I would expect that the coil could be cleaned, but the ductwork may well have to be replaced.

Any idea how the ducting and coil became contaminated? How old is the system? If it is original to the house, you probably should consider replacement of the whole system.

Scott Patterson
01-27-2010, 04:42 PM

Thanks.

Tell your landlord! Mold should not be in the duct work or the unit.

David Bell
01-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Get in touch with the landlord first,,if they fail to remedy the situation contact the housing authority and have them investigate. It may just be a case of failing to clean the A/C pan and drain correctly, but mold is mold and you should not have to deal with this alone.

Jon mackay
01-30-2010, 12:48 PM
How did they confirm that it is mold?

Stacey Van Houtan
01-30-2010, 01:01 PM
We need more info

Duct material ( flex, ductboard, metal with wrap)?
Location of duct work,
Photos of the amout of mold
Mold Outside? is this a package unit
PIC and More Pics

Gunnar Alquist
01-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Uhhh... The way I read it, he is the landlord.

Ted Menelly
01-30-2010, 05:05 PM

Thanks.

Its called having your ducts cleaned. They are metal I assume. Also the entire interior of the HVAC system should be cleaned (ducts are part of the entire system)There are compoanies everywhere that do such work. Personally I would replace the old duct, metal on flex. It does not cost that much and will save a tone of energy dollars.

Stacey Van Houtan
01-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Personally I would replace the old duct, metal on flex. It does not cost that much and will save a tone of energy dollars.Today 12:12 PMPersonally I would replace the old duct, metal on flex. It does not cost that much and will save a tone of energy dollars.Today 12:12 PMPersonally I would replace the old duct, metal on flex. It does not cost that much and will save a tone of energy dollars.Today 12:12 PMReplace the duct? That save enegry? I dont follow that logic

Ted Menelly
01-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Personally I would replace the old duct, metal on flex. It does not cost that much and will save a tone of energy dollars.Today 12:12 PMPersonally I would replace the old duct, metal on flex. It does not cost that much and will save a tone of energy dollars.Today 12:12 PMPersonally I would replace the old duct, metal on flex. It does not cost that much and will save a tone of energy dollars.Today 12:12 PMReplace the duct? That save enegry? I dont follow that logic

Flex is almost impossible to clean well and metal has multiple connections on every run that leak and waste energy.

What don't you understand ?

Stacey Van Houtan
01-30-2010, 10:15 PM
This is a single story home in FL. The ductwork has a good chance of being duct board, in the attic with flex. BUT could be metal, it may have a crawlspace, it may be a slab with metal or plastic under the slab.

This is someting I do know about. I have made ductbord ducts installed them, flex, spin ins, I could go on but lets just say in this i area i have a broad knowledge base.

The cleaning of duct may make since if there is a mold issue, this has yet to be determened,

To remove and replace duct work makes no economic sense at this time with the preset info we are given and it its not always cheap.

Ted Menelly
01-31-2010, 07:26 AM
This is a single story home in FL. The ductwork has a good chance of being duct board, in the attic with flex. BUT could be metal, it may have a crawlspace, it may be a slab with metal or plastic under the slab.

This is someting I do know about. I have made ductbord ducts installed them, flex, spin ins, I could go on but lets just say in this i area i have a broad knowledge base.

The cleaning of duct may make since if there is a mold issue, this has yet to be determened,

To remove and replace duct work makes no economic sense at this time with the preset info we are given and it its not always cheap.

I think the if factor was brought up. If .. carries it to another level. If there is mold in the ducts .. especially ductboard .. which most folks do not use anymore, and they need cleaning .. metal would be the easiest to clean but is not efficient due to multiple connections and air loss. Flex duct is horrible to get cleaned with out some form of damage and duct board with its inner surface as it is. is not conducive to cleaning.

And yes, I have had years of experience in all myself.

Just my opinion and observations.

Stacey Van Houtan
02-01-2010, 12:50 PM
The what if game does change the field. But, "when is mold a problem?" is such a per/home sitiuation that this could go many ways. As far as duct board, I have not sold Duct board for 10 years, But when i was in the market FL and the gulf coast was the largest market for duct board (in the US) due the the ability to seal the duct, and thus reduce condensation (mold). I would think this has not chaged that much, as no new products are in the market that would have replaced this product.

CaoimhĂ­n P. Connell
02-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Hello Stacey!

But, "when is mold a problem?" is such a per/home sitiuation that this could go many ways.

See:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/environmental-pests-health-safety-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/16776-mold-new-construction.html#post117635

Cheers!
CaoimhĂ*n P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist
Forensic Industrial Hygiene (http://www.forensic-applications.com)

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Stacey Van Houtan
02-01-2010, 01:15 PM
I mold on framing may or may not be related to mold in duct work in the plemum or on the coils. That is why each case has to be evaluated and then a risk assement given.