PDA

View Full Version : Grow op

Douglas Butson
01-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Hi my neighbor came over to ask if I new anyone that repairs broken draft controls in the fireplace. It was broken & needs it fixed, do the draft controls get pulled out when converting to a grow-op? They moved in about a year ago I think someone tried to convert but got scared off. I also think there is a partial hole below the electrical panel that was abandoned.

chris mcintyre
01-31-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi my neighbor came over to ask if I new anyone that repairs broken draft controls in the fireplace. It was broken & needs it fixed, do the draft controls get pulled out when converting to a grow-op?

Mr. Butson,
Why would your first thought about a broken draft control in a fireplace be a "grow-op"?

I also think there is a partial hole below the electrical panel that was abandoned.

You think there is a hole? Is there a hole or not? Does this have anything to do with a "gro-op"?

I'm guessing that you know a lot more about "grow-op's" than anyone on this site.

Douglas Butson
02-01-2010, 05:47 AM
I know they steel the electricity by taking it before the meter meter. The chimney is used to exhaust high so neighbors can't smell the distinct odor coming from the grow-op. But I also noticed an unmarked parked car down the street with I think was undercover cop. I asked what he was doing, watching the house for drugs? He told me to go away! I think they got so far & decided they weren't getting away with it, left. Or they got busted for something else!

Daniel Leung
02-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Here is a basic guideline from RCMP to identify a grow-op or drug house in your neighbourhood:
http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/assets/Suspected_Drug_House_Reporting8841.pdf
http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/assets/Suspicious_Drug_House_Reporting_Form22619.pdf

John Kogel
02-01-2010, 11:15 AM
do the draft controls get pulled out when converting to a grow-op?There is no rule book for cultivators. Even if there was, who would enforce them, other growers?

I think someone tried to convert but got scared off.In that case, where's the grow-op?

I also think there is a partial hole below the electrical panel that was abandoned.In that case, where's the grow-op? Could someone have been installing a hot tub?

Is there a cap on the chimney? If the house is older, dampers get rusty. There may have been a fireplace insert which was removed. The dampers are often disabled for inserts.

Bruce Ramsey
02-01-2010, 12:48 PM
There was a TV bit about "Holmes on Homes" finding a Grow-Op. He did his usual bit about how he could see the problems in the house from 3 blocks away with his eyes closed.

The video can be seen here: Grow Op Cover Up | Marketplace (http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2010/grow_op_cover_up/main.html)

This was discussed on TIJ recently. It may be the original poster saw the TV bit and is now looking for the telltale signs in his friends house.

Douglas Butson
02-01-2010, 03:47 PM
The problem with Mike Holmes he can see everything!!!! But it takes ALL HIS EXPERTS, & dismantling the home to find & verify. He has the TV show to point out problems in Home Inspections, but does an invasive inspection. This way he promotes his Holme on Holmes Home Inspection Company. Isn't that a CONFLICT OF INTEREST!

Douglas Butson
02-01-2010, 03:48 PM
The house is about 20 years old & the chimney has had no cap.

John Kogel
02-02-2010, 07:01 PM
The problem with Mike Holmes he can see everything!!!! But it takes ALL HIS EXPERTS, & dismantling the home to find & verify. He has the TV show to point out problems in Home Inspections, but does an invasive inspection. This way he promotes his Holme on Holmes Home Inspection Company. Isn't that a CONFLICT OF INTEREST!Yes it is indeed a conflict of interest. Members of the Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors are not permitted to work on the homes they have inspected for at least one year. That is in the Code of Ethics. However, Mike Holmes in Ontario is not required to adhere to any standards of practice, so he can call himself above the rules and do as he pleases.
In fact, I believe he has a real inspector or two out doing HI work, boring stuff, then sets up these TV shows on the interesting (or profitable) jobs that come up from that.
My point above is there are many reasons for broken or missing dampers in chimneys. And we see alterations to the electrical panels every other day. Mouldy attics, you bet. Are you going to devalue somebody's home by 100G's on a hunch?

Matt Fellman
02-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Are you going to devalue somebody's home by 100G's on a hunch?

Devalue 100Gs for a pot operation? I'd think between the leftover twinkies and all the electrical service it would be worth more :)