PDA

View Full Version : Wood moves - let it move

Jim Luttrall
02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
This is a link to a paper on Dr. Joe L's Building Science site.
BSI-023: Wood Is Good . . . But Strange — (http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi-023-wood-is-good-but-strange)

Good reading, Good speaker and author.

Bruce Breedlove
02-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Joe L is a good speaker. He knows a LOT about energy efficient building methods and materials. I heard him speak at the EEBA conference last fall in Denver and I heard him speak just week before last at the International Builders Show in Las Vegas.

The article (at your link) is a very good explanation of truss uplift. I sent it to a friend in Georgia who has truss uplift in her house. I tried explaining it to her but it only brought on glazed over eyes. I hope the article and accompanying sketches and photos will explain it better than I did.

chris mcintyre
02-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks Jim, great article and a great site. I saved the article in the PDF, and bookmarked the site. Often when you explain to people what you have heard or seen, you get the "yea right" look, it is nice to have it in writing for back up.

Judging from the pictures used for illustration, I think it is safe to say this is not new science.:)

Jim Luttrall
02-01-2010, 05:50 PM
By the way, you can sign up for their periodic newsletters.
That is why I posted the link to this particular article, I was cleaning up old "save for later" file and came across it.