PDA

View Full Version : 120/208v 3-Phase 400-Amp FPE Stab-Lok Panel

Bruce Breedlove
02-03-2010, 01:44 AM
120/208v 3-Phase 400-Amp Federal Pacific Electric Panel !!!

I had no idea Stab-Lok panels were made this large. I ran across this one on a commercial inspection today.

I checked building permits for the building and, lo and behold, what did I find? An electrical permit from 1990 to "REPLACE 400 AMP PANEL DUE TO A FIRE".

The first photos are of the main disconnect outside the building. Those 400 amp fuses are HUGE!

The tab for the panel latch is broken off and I was able to simply raise the panel cover to open it. That is a serious accident waiting to happen.

Bruce Breedlove
02-03-2010, 01:55 AM
Here is the 400-amp FPE Stab-Lok panel. This is the largest Stab-Lok panel that I have run across. I assume this is the panel that was replaced in 1990 after a fire. What a great opportunity missed.

Notice the numerous openings around the breakers waiting for a finger to enter.

I did not find any super loose breakers in the Stab-Lok panel but interestingly I did find a couple of overheated neutrals at a downstream panel.

Rollie Meyers
02-03-2010, 06:44 AM
A big issue I see is the paralell conductors in lugs that may not be rated for more then 1 conductor in the fusible switch & the panel.

Jerry Peck
02-03-2010, 06:30 PM
A big issue I see is the paralell conductors in lugs that may not be rated for more then 1 conductor in the fusible switch & the panel.

Along with the grounding conductor in the neutral terminal bar at the downstream panel, and ... too many other things to mention.

Bruce Breedlove
02-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Along with the grounding conductor in the neutral terminal bar at the downstream panel, and ... too many other things to mention.

All were duly noted. I was amazed at how many open splices and open junction boxes I found above the acoustic ceiling tiles.