PDA

View Full Version : New Washer Drain Design?

Grant Jones
02-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Anyone ever seen a washer drain like this? They've put a sump pump inside a garbage can, and tied that in to the drain system. My first thought was that this is just plain wrong, but after thinking for a while, this is also a major problem in case of a sewage backup. The basement will be flooded in no time. Other thoughts?

Stacey Van Houtan
02-04-2010, 12:58 PM
This looks like a home made grinder pump, is this home on spetic?

Grant Jones
02-04-2010, 01:07 PM
City water - in East Nashville.

Gunnar Alquist
02-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Anyone ever seen a washer drain like this? They've put a sump pump inside a garbage can, and tied that in to the drain system. My first thought was that this is just plain wrong, but after thinking for a while, this is also a major problem in case of a sewage backup. The basement will be flooded in no time. Other thoughts?

Grant,

If you are joking, it would really help to put in one of the smiley faces. :cool:

Brent Crouse
02-04-2010, 01:45 PM
And where did the dryer vent exhaust to?

Grant Jones
02-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Good question. Wrote that up, too... See pic.

Steven Saville
02-05-2010, 04:51 AM
I guess when the trash can runs over, the homeowner knows it's time to clean the washer lint from plugging the sump pump inlet screen! :eek:

Corn Walker
02-05-2010, 06:43 AM

Sweet setup!

They actually make sewage ejector systems for this specific purpose, complete w/ 30 gal tank. They typically come with a dual float, one for activation and the other for alarm. The discharge pipe has a check valve in it to prevent sewage backflow. If you know a handy electrician, you can actually wire the alarm so it cuts power to the washer in the case of pump failure.

Grant Jones
02-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks, Corn Walker. Are you an Indiana man? I would send that info to the buyer, but this along with about 10 other things in this home gave me the feeling they wouldn't pursue the purchase.

brian schmitt
02-05-2010, 11:38 AM
looks like another job well done by the git er dun boys with the you all listed components:D