PDA

View Full Version : Stair beside above-ground pool

Michael Thomas
02-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Okay here's one for you California in Florida guys:

Here in Chicago I rarely see above ground pools, but I would *think* there would be a requirement for a rail along the left side of the stairs adjacent to the pool, even though you don't need (AFAIK) a railing at the junction the deck surface in the pool rim..

Anyone?

(For purposes of this discussion, let's just ignore ignore the other problems with these stairs.)

Jerry Peck
02-07-2010, 07:41 PM

Here in Chicago I rarely see above ground pools, but I would *think* there would be a requirement for a rail along the left side of the stairs adjacent to the pool, even though you don't need (AFAIK) a railing at the junction the deck surface in the pool rim..

Anyone?

(For purposes of this discussion, let's just ignore ignore the other problems with these stairs.)

One cannot ignore the other problems with those stairs, based on the photo there are too many other problems to leave that stairs ...

- BOTH sides require PROPER guardrails (neither side has proper guardrails).
- One side requires a proper handrail.
- Ignoring, as requested, other problems.
- The stairs proximity to the pool now defeats the height of the pool from acting as a child safety barrier (as does that deck), meaning a proper child safety barrier is required around the pool.
- IF the deck if not to, and/or overhanging the pool, i.e., there is a gap between the deck and the pool, then the deck needs a guardrail.
- That is just keeping it short and simple.

John Kogel
02-07-2010, 08:59 PM

What JP said, and this: They need to scrape that white sh#t off of there. Looks like a trip hazard.:)

chris mcintyre
02-07-2010, 09:18 PM
There is a post all by itself at the top of the steps that most likely had rails attached to it at some point. They were obviously removed because they were in the way, it is much easier to jump in the pool from the deck now that those handrails are gone.:rolleyes: :)

Michael Thomas
02-08-2010, 03:57 AM
Thanks for your replies.

The workmanship and code compliance of the rest of the deck is on a par with the stairs, and the whole thing is coming down, I was just curious about the guardrail requirements.

I almost never see an above ground pool, and when I do it's never got a deck around it. I guess that's one upside of inspecting in Chicago, but I'm pretty much at a loss when it comes to "pool" aspects of inspecting such a thing.

Door Guy
02-08-2010, 04:55 AM
Don't forget about gate requirements and door alarm. Code doesn't specify the pool needs to be inground to comply with those requirements also. The door leads directly to the pool.

Richard Burkard
03-09-2010, 06:29 AM
In most areas of the country one and two family homes require a hand rail only on one side of stairs until they reach a height of 30 inches or more. A set of stairs more than 30 inches in height requires guards on both sides. Some states don't require a rail at all as long there are less than 4 risers.

john_opwin
04-19-2010, 03:03 AM
Sure stairs should be beside above-ground pool.

Ana Nevada
09-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Pool stairs for an above ground pool serves two functions. First, it provides for easy entry into the water. Second, a pool ladder (http://swimming-pool-store.com/index.php/Above-Ground-Pools/above-ground-pool-steps.html) or a set of external stairs is the only way (safest way) you can get into your pool. Safety must be priority in the selection of pool stairs. You need to look for the safety possible stairs.

Rich Goeken
09-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Don't forget about gate requirements and door alarm. Code doesn't specify the pool needs to be inground to comply with those requirements also. The door leads directly to the pool.

Some area also require a phone of some type at the pool.

Door Guy
09-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Some area also require a phone of some type at the pool.

Emergency phone wouldn't be required for a residential pool, at least in Michigan, that's for commercial installations.