PDA

View Full Version : Gas Hot Water heater exhaust pipe

JIM MURPHY
02-09-2010, 06:51 AM
This is a picture of a hot water heater that is located in a corner under a deck of a 1850 built house. Can the exhaust pipe be vented that short of distance under a wood deck? This is not in a enclosed area.

Thanks,

Jim

Rick Cantrell
02-09-2010, 06:58 AM
It is, therefore it "can be", but it should not be.
It should terminate above the roof.

Rick Cantrell
02-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Also the Flexable (gas) connector should not be longer that 3', that one looks to be much longer than that.

Ken Rowe
02-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Looks like PB tubing also.

brian schmitt
02-09-2010, 11:25 AM
the installation is wrong for too many reasons to mention and why heat hot water?:D

chris mcintyre
02-09-2010, 06:47 PM
.... why heat hot water?:D

I had an uncle who was a plumber, and he broke me from using the term hot water heater at a pretty young age.

I wonder if there are any other terms that are often misused...:p

Mark Aakjar
02-09-2010, 06:59 PM
looks like the tubing on the pressure relief is pitched backwards also.

Jerry Peck
02-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Jim,

Start with the minimum height of the vent and go from there (I've only listed a couple of things).

Minimum height of the vent is 5 feet from the draft hood to the lowest point in the gas vent cap.

Minimum height is also 2 feet higher than any obstruction within 8 feet horizontally.

From just those two things, you can see where this is going ... downhill fast. ;)

Also, define 'not in an enclosed area' as that water heater is not approved for use outside ... as I said, it is going downhill fast ...

Add to that the PB being outside, exposed to sunlight, not protected from freezing ... I could go on and on and on ...