PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the SOP's discussion

Ron Samples
02-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Hello from Plano, Texas. Enjoyed the comments concerning the TREC SOP. I'm in the middle of the class process for obtaining my TREC Inspection License. Believe me I'm taking this very seriously. I have 15 years in real estate business. I've seen good and not so good reports. I was always concerned about to much information was given to the (buyer/seller). To much information always seemed to confuse the (buyer/seller) and the agent. I'm all for good sound reports but if it's a code issue...lets leave that to the professional plumber, electrician, etc. Thank goodness for veterans like yourselves to bring up important news and facts about topics such as SOP's.

Scott Patterson
02-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Hello from Plano, Texas. Enjoyed the comments concerning the TREC SOP. I'm in the middle of the class process for obtaining my TREC Inspection License. Believe me I'm taking this very seriously. I have 15 years in real estate business. I've seen good and not so good reports. I was always concerned about to much information was given to the (buyer/seller). To much information always seemed to confuse the (buyer/seller) and the agent. I'm all for good sound reports but if it's a code issue...lets leave that to the professional plumber, electrician, etc. Thank goodness for veterans like yourselves to bring up important news and facts about topics such as SOP's.

Ron, once you become an inspector it won't take you very long to realize that there is really no such thing as too much information. Most of the inspectors that get into trouble do so because they did not provide enough information for their client.

A.D. Miller
02-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Ron, once you become an inspector it won't take you very long to realize that there is really no such thing as too much information. Most of the inspectors that get into trouble do so because they did not provide enough information for their client.

SP: Moving over from the dark side as he is, Ron may take a little longer to educate. He will most certainly soon find that his previous agent peers will not circle the wagons for him when the going gets tough. After the first demand letter he will quickly see the wisdom in reporting every single thing found during an inspection in excruciating detail.

But, until then, good luck, Ron.

Ron Samples
02-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Thank you gentlemen....I see someone is listening! Believe me I'm more worried I'll over do it and scare everyone off. Your right in today's sue everyone and anyone....it will pay off to over do it! It almost looks like we need to have a plumber, electrician, HVAC code certified inflatable inspector in our back pocket. Thanks again for your input!

Scott Patterson
02-10-2010, 03:09 PM
It almost looks like we need to have a plumber, electrician, HVAC code certified inflatable inspector in our back pocket. Thanks again for your input!

Nah, you just need to do the best job that you are capable of doing. Keep in mind that the folks you listed above are one of the main reasons we all have jobs. The vast majority of those folks you listed don't know squat!

A little realized point about Codes is that the building codes are the minimal standard. So when a builder brags that they are building to Code; they ain't bragging about very much!

Raymond Wand
02-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Make sure you have your contract read by the purchaser prior to the inspection!

Ron Samples
02-10-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm laughing....and I know you're right. My friends bought a new home just awhile back and they've had nothing but problems! Every time I talk with them it's bad news...and I thought the builder was a good one. Just goes to show ya! Thanks Scott!

A.D. Miller
02-10-2010, 03:52 PM
...and I thought the builder was a good one.

RS: In the Metroplex I can count those on one hand - minus the thumb,:D

Ron Samples
02-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Yes sir Mr. Miller I agree! To bad no one takes pride in their work. My brothers a contractor in Atlanta. He always told me he looses the first bid because his bid was to high....but later gets the call to fix the other contractors mistake. Good work doesn't come cheap! Thanks again gentlemen for you input. I hope to hear more from you and other veterans. I know I'll learn a great deal from all of you!! Have a great night!

Daniel Leung
02-10-2010, 04:10 PM
I was always concerned about to much information was given to the (buyer/seller). To much information always seemed to confuse the (buyer/seller) and the agent.
Ron, you said "to much information". Do you mean "too much general information not related to the inspected home"?
If the information is relevant, nothing is too much in the inspection report. All experienced inspectors are willing to do the thorough inspection and provide a detailed report with photos.

imported_John Smith
02-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Ron, I wish you the best of luck. If you don't report the facts to the best of your ability (and to the TREC SOPs), you are setting yourself up for being sued or paying for stuff out of your own pocket. Example, you inspect a house and don't identify a "code" issue as deficient. Client tries to sell the house within 2 years and buyers inspector calls out the "code" issues as deficient. I can guarantee you your client is going to want you to pay for it. Your E&O insurer couldnt really care to much, especially if its less than your deductible. TREC wont stand up for you. You will find out just how expensive this can be.

Mr Ron sez,
"I was always concerned about to much information was given to the (buyer/seller). To much information always seemed to confuse the (buyer/seller) and the agent. I'm all for good sound reports but if it's a code issue...lets leave that to the professional plumber, electrician, etc."

Bruce Ramsey
02-10-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm all for good sound reports but if it's a code issue...lets leave that to the professional plumber, electrician, etc. Thank goodness for veterans like yourselves to bring up important news and facts about topics such as SOP's.

Most of the tradespeople who show usually know less about the code that many of the regular posters here. Instead of carrying an inflatable tradesperson, its better to just learn and know the code yourself.

A.D. Miller
02-11-2010, 05:22 AM
Instead of carrying an inflatable tradesperson,

BR: Thanks for the visual, I think. . .:D

A.D. Miller
02-11-2010, 05:24 AM
Maybe this will help . . .

Stuart Brooks
02-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Most of the tradespeople who show usually know less about the code that many of the regular posters here. Instead of carrying an inflatable tradesperson, its better to just learn and know the code yourself.

Agree. Too many trades/contractors either don't know, don't care, or "That's been done like that for years and years, (or that's just the way its done). No reason to fix it." There are some who do care, do know, and try their best to do the best job they can. Kind of like home inspectors, realtors, doctors, lawyers, engineers, politicians ....