PDA

View Full Version : Power inverter

John Goad
02-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I need to get another power inverter for the truck, the one I currently have has to be re-set whenever you start up the vehicle. I have also read about some that will shut down before draining the battery & I like the thought of that as well.
Anyway, just thought I'd ask & see if there is a particular make or model that stands out as a good one. Thanks.

Raymond Wand
02-13-2010, 05:46 AM
Black and Decker 400 watt unit.
Power Inverters from Black and Decker (http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/CategoryOverview.aspx?cPath=4010.4011)

John Goad
02-15-2010, 05:09 AM
It's not the battery, like I said, it does it when you start the vehicle & does mention that it will do this in the operating instructions. Unfortunately I did not think of this issue before purchase or I would have made sure to read them like I will be doing on the next one.

Ken Rowe
02-15-2010, 08:16 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I've never had any luck with power inverters. Every one I've tried has melted down within 3 months. I finally went with 12 volt adapters and a multi port connection for my electronics and haven't had a problem since.

Raymond Wand
02-15-2010, 08:33 AM
The BD unit I have has worked flawlessly and I have had it for a couple of years. However I don't use it all the time. I also believe it has overload protection if you exceed the rating.

Dana Bostick
02-15-2010, 10:21 AM
I use two inverters. A small 400 watt unit that plugs into the power port to run the computer, phone etc. If I need to print on my Laser, I fire up the 800 watt that clips directly to the battery terminals and set the printer on the air cleaner. :D

I must say, it gets some strange looks when I so this. While on a FEMA gig in Texas in 08, I did this one time and this guy was really watching me. I asked him "haven't you ever seen a Honda printer before?" It's an option on this model! :rolleyes:
Dana

Randy Aldering
02-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Weren't those printers recalled along with the airbag problems? Something about combustibles too close to the exhaust manifold or something, it seems. No fires have been reported, except in testing. I could not help myself.

Jerry Peck
02-15-2010, 06:38 PM
When I was inspecting I had a fully equipped portable office in my conversion van, complete with a 3,000 watt inverter I added. Kept my Xerox Phaser color printer in the van and printed reports there for a number of years before taking it out and putting it in my office and stopped doing reports "on site". Ran heavy 4/0 stranded strand welding cable from a second battery up front back to the inverter in the rear to reduce voltage drop inherent with high amp draw at 12 volts.