PDA

View Full Version : Is it important to list the type of material things are made of?

Andy Jarchow
02-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Is it important to list the type of material something is made of?:confused:

I understand saying copper plumbing vinyl siding, concrete walk… But is it important to describe what the sink, tub, garage door, windows are made of?

What do you guys think/do?

Thank you for your help. :)

Mike

John Dirks Jr
02-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Standards of Practice require that certain materials be listed. In addition to that, I think being more descriptive where you can do it accurately and efficiently can be helpful.

A.D. Miller
02-15-2010, 09:32 AM
If your SOP requires that you identify materials, then do so. Otherwise do so only if there is a pressing need to do so AND you know for certain what they are. Assuming that all of the plumbing in a house is copper, or that all of the wiring is aluminum, or that a wood-like flooring material is actually wood, just for a few examples, can get you into trouble.

Scott Jarvis
02-15-2010, 09:51 AM
The State of Wisconsin's SOP says "The home inspector shall observe and describe the condition of all of the following". The SOPs specifically state what items you are required to report the construction of, such as plumbing pipes, foundations, etc. Windows, doors, and fixtures are not included for listing types. If you do list what they are made of, you could get into trouble if you label them wrong, such as saying a fiberglass door is steel. You could end up buying the new owners a steel door.

Andy Jarchow
02-15-2010, 12:42 PM
The State of Wisconsin's SOP says "The home inspector shall observe and describe the condition of all of the following". The SOPs specifically state what items you are required to report the construction of, such as plumbing pipes, foundations, etc. Windows, doors, and fixtures are not included for listing types. If you do list what they are made of, you could get into trouble if you label them wrong, such as saying a fiberglass door is steel. You could end up buying the new owners a steel door.

Thank you everyone!

Where can I find Wisconsin's SOP?

I'm changing my report to streamline it. There are a lot of things in the inspectit report plus program that are not necessary and might set you up for trouble.

Thanks again everyone! :)

Scott Patterson
02-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Thank you everyone!

I'm changing my report to streamline it. There are a lot of things in the inspectit report plus program that are not necessary and might set you up for trouble.

Google is a wonderful tool!
Wisconsin Legislature Data (http://nxt.legis.state.wi.us/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&d=stats&jd=440.975)

Andy Jarchow
02-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Thank you everyone!

Never mind- I have a copy of the wi sop and ashi's.

Thank you

Matt Fellman
02-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Taking what AD said a step further.... The word "visible" goes a long way.

"visible pipes"

"visible floor framing"

etc

It's undoubtedly stated in your contract and/or SOPs but it doesn't hurt to mention it once more in the report. If nothing else it reminds folks that we can't see inside the walls..... since they seem to forget that from time to time.

Andy Jarchow
02-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Good point Matt.
I do mention this in my reoprt.

Thank you
mk

Taking what AD said a step further.... The word "visible" goes a long way.

"visible pipes"

"visible floor framing"

etc

It's undoubtedly stated in your contract and/or SOPs but it doesn't hurt to mention it once more in the report. If nothing else it reminds folks that we can't see inside the walls..... since they seem to forget that from time to time.

imported_John Smith
02-24-2010, 04:23 PM
I would say if your SOPs require it and if you know for sure (e.g. without a doubt). You could be sticking your neck out by saying what you think something is, and it turns out to not be what you think.

Even if your SOPs require it and you arent completely sure (100%), note it in the report and move on.