PDA

View Full Version : septic system (new)

Paul Johnston
02-19-2010, 04:35 AM
Thought you would enjoy this even through it is a shame the people think this way. I tried to explain to the owner why this will not work and your current system only last 9 months. Answer "this is how we do it in Costa Rica".
Hole dug 4'X4'X6' long. 4" pipe installed. Then they fill it with boulders, broken cinder blocks or what ever they can find. 2. Cover it with plastic.
3. cover it up.
Now you can understand that when you visit Costa Rica signs every where ask you not to throw paper in the toilet. Like that will mater.
Sorry the photos are not that great. Taken at a distance.

Nick Ostrowski
02-19-2010, 06:45 AM
NOTE TO SELF: Cancel trip to Costa Rica.

John Kogel
02-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Somehow I doubt if that pit is 100 feet from the nearest well, either. :D

In sandy soil, that system will work for grey water for quite a while actually. Depends on how much bacon fat you pour into it. :D

Paul Johnston
02-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Somehow I doubt if that pit is 100 feet from the nearest well, either. :D

In sandy soil, that system will work for grey water for quite a while actually. Depends on how much bacon fat you pour into it. :D

This is not for just grey water the bathroom goes into it. No tank so the solid waste starts backing up immediately. We do no have municipal water but not sewage.
This is the system some have been using for decades and will not change.

Eugene Cameline 3rd
02-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Holy Crap !!!;)

Richard Soundy
02-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Paul.

From your pictures, what is that partially seen small slab with PVC pipe to the side of the pit?

Just a matter of curiosity.

Regards - Richard

John Kogel
02-23-2010, 11:33 AM
This is not for just grey water the bathroom goes into it. No tank so the solid waste starts backing up immediately. We do no have municipal water but not sewage.
This is the system some have been using for decades and will not change.What, they couldn't find a 45 gal drum to throw in there? No wonder they just cover it with poly and a bit of dirt.
These guys would be better off with outhouses.

Paul Johnston
02-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Paul.

From your pictures, what is that partially seen small slab with PVC pipe to the side of the pit?

Just a matter of curiosity.

Regards - Richard

That is just busted concrete they hauled in to fill the hole. No PVC visible.

Richard Soundy
02-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Paul,

Look at Pic 16242d the square piece of cement with what I believe is a PVC vent pipe. In third world countries this is typical of an in-ground tank - fairly deep hole containing maggot's not bacteria. Produces a lot of foul smelling methane, hence the vent is located high. Overflow will go into a leach field (in other countries they call it a "French" drain) just as shown in your picture.

A camera view never tells the story and eye view tells all. Your eye view far out-ways my personal assumptions, I may be completely wrong!

All the best - Richard

Paul Johnston
02-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Paul,

Look at Pic 16242d the square piece of cement with what I believe is a PVC vent pipe. In third world countries this is typical of an in-ground tank - fairly deep hole containing maggot's not bacteria. Produces a lot of foul smelling methane, hence the vent is located high. Overflow will go into a leach field (in other countries they call it a "French" drain) just as shown in your picture.

A camera view never tells the story and eye view tells all. Your eye view far out-ways my personal assumptions, I may be completely wrong!

All the best - Richard

Hey Richard,
What you are seeing is the back porch roof support and not a vent. The septic is 3' from the porch and when it rains it floods the porch.

bob smit
02-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Speaking from a past experience; that tree on the left (nearby), is just licking he's chops, er,a, roots.
Bob Smit, County EI

Paul Johnston
02-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Speaking from a past experience; that tree on the left (nearby), is just licking he's chops, er,a, roots.
Bob Smit, County EI

The whole thing is wrong and a waste of time and money. It can not work.
During the rainy season it will fill with water and flood the back porch. They only put 4" - 5" of dirt back
Paul

Paul Johnston
06-01-2010, 03:31 AM
The whole thing is wrong and a waste of time and money. It can not work.
During the rainy season it will fill with water and flood the back porch. They only put 4" - 5" of dirt back
Paul

Update on septic system. Installed in Feb and has now failed. They were out there yesterday trying to wash the problem away with a garden hose.

John Kogel
06-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Update on septic system. Installed in Feb and has now failed. They were out there yesterday trying to wash the problem away with a garden hose.It sounds like that was the plan all along. :D.

It's working out to a couple of easy days per year, till a hurricane spreads the whole shebang out again. :D