PDA

View Full Version : Heater in Crawlspace

brianmiller
02-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Should there be a catch pan under the evaporator coil? I know the drain line should be routed to an approved location, but I'm not sure if a catch pan is required.

mike huntzinger
02-23-2010, 04:08 PM
never see them around here, may want to check to see if the drain is not blocked , so you know the water is going to an outside location

David Bell
02-23-2010, 05:54 PM
A secondary drain pan is the least of this installations problems. I would first be concerned with the mold issues that are shown. The condensate is totally wrong, running trap, secondary piped to nowhere, lack of insulation on the suction line. I could smell the mold just looking at the picture, it can't be a healthy home.

brianmiller
02-23-2010, 06:07 PM
thanks,

but is a catch pan required?

and,

um,

I don't see where there is mold.

Jerry Peck
02-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Should there be a catch pan under the evaporator coil?

No, an auxiliary pan under the unit is not required.

I know the drain line should be routed to an approved location,

You are correct. ALL condensate needs to be routed to outside the crawl space.

That secondary condensate line is either: a) sucking in all that undesirable crawl space air - YECCH!; or b) blowing out conditioned air - what a waste ... i.e., the secondary condensate line also requires a trap.

brianmiller
02-23-2010, 06:57 PM
thanks...

anyone else see mold in the picture?

John Kogel
02-23-2010, 10:17 PM
thanks...

anyone else see mold in the picture?That pink insulation has some black stain and so does the cardboard tube. A bit of grey stuff on the pipe insulation. Typical for a dirt crawl. I'd recommend improvements to the vapor barrier along with the other upgrades.