PDA

View Full Version : Crawlspace, basement or slab???

Jack Feldmann
02-24-2010, 09:56 AM
I always ask this when someone is scheduling an inspection. I find it amazing when they say, "There is a crawlspace access in the hallway" and its to the attic.
Or they say "Slab", and its a basement with a concrete floor.
I really like it when they say they don't know.

James Kiser
02-24-2010, 10:17 AM
No matter how many questions you ask, you never know till you get on job site and see for your self

Ted Menelly
02-24-2010, 10:29 AM
I always ask this when someone is scheduling an inspection. I find it amazing when they say, "There is a crawlspace access in the hallway" and its to the attic.

Or when you ask that question they come back with "What does that matter? Why should there be a difference in inspection cost. What is with the fees? Why do you inspectors get so much money? He was a Post man about to retire making a base of 60.000 a year with all the bennies. Oh yeah....that we pay for.

After a lengthy professional , understanding explanation and a stupid decent price (for him, not me) he told me to forget it. You are not even in the ball park on price.

$185.00 for the inspection and $50.00 for the termite is what he got for a 45 year old home that he knows needs work which tells me if he knows it then my report would be double in length over my normal report. Then you get to hear from some guys that they are pounding out 10 a week 52 weeks a year for the last seven years.

Rick Hurst
02-24-2010, 01:23 PM

Jack,

I always ask the same question, Is it slab or pier & beam? (No basements in our area)

Many will tell me either:
1. They don't know.
2. Its concrete.
3. You can see concrete on the outside so I guess it has a foundation.
4. It's not a trailer.
5. Why does it matter?
6. If it is a pier & beam, why does it cost more?

They never cease to amaze me.:D

rick