PDA

View Full Version : Gas stove vent

mathew stouffer
02-24-2010, 10:16 PM
This is a small natural gas stove. Two questions. Is this the correct type of direct vent and is the soot an indication of an issue with the gas not buring cleanly.

Bob Harper
02-24-2010, 11:40 PM
The listed instructions will tell you which venting systems are listed for use with this appliance.

This is a problem and needs a qualified technician.

The manual needs to be located for this unit to answer your venting questions and probably help the tech, too, such as log placment, specs, etc.

HTH,
Bob

mathew stouffer
02-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Bob, the entire arrangement is a problem or the soot.

Raymond Wand
02-25-2010, 09:03 AM
The soot is a problem it usually indicates impingement of the flame or incomplete combustion.

The vent appears to be the typical type I see for a gas stove at least in my area.

Jerry Peck
02-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Is that a bed I see?

Michael Garrity
02-25-2010, 06:52 PM
I would change the wallpaper.

mathew stouffer
02-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Jerry, yes it's in the master bedroom.

Bob Harper
02-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Matthew, the soot is not a normal occurrence thus needs to be investigated by a qualified technician. As part of that, the venting will need to be inspected and compared to the instructions. It may be the corrrect venting installed perfectly, it may be the incorrect venting or it may be the correct venting but not installed per the instructions of either the appliance or vent mfr.

If this is a gas direct vent then once it has been determined to be properly installed and operating, there would be no problem with it being installed in a bedroom.

Bob

John Kogel
02-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Just a wild guess. :confused: It could be sucking air around that glass door. If it is direct vent, there should be no other air getting in.

Jerry Peck
02-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Jerry, yes it's in the master bedroom.

I asked because that looks just like one my sister has in her family room which is not direct vented ... curious if it was really direct vented or not, and if not I would not want it in the bedroom.

Is there enough clearance around it to the wall?