PDA

View Full Version : cracked disposal housing

John Dirks Jr
02-25-2010, 05:55 AM
How often do you find cracked disposal housings? I have found 2 in the last month. One of them was very obvious. The one in the picture was not so obvious. It was small and only leaked if the sink was filled before being drained.

I haven't yet begin to checking the back side of disposals with a mirror but I think I'll do it. If this crack were on the back side, it would have been easy to miss it.

John Dirks Jr
02-25-2010, 05:57 AM
Forgot to attach picture.

Scott Patterson
02-25-2010, 07:35 AM
I can't say that I have found all that many of them, but I have a few times and I had one in my home.

We had a spoon that went into the food disposer and it got slammed through the side of the unit. Actually had the end of the spoon sticking out the side of the housing.

Tim Hill
02-25-2010, 08:34 AM
I found one last week.

John Arnold
02-25-2010, 09:49 AM
What a coincidence. I saw my first one today...

Vern Heiler
02-25-2010, 11:40 AM
The ones I have found have leaked with running water into the disposal while running. I have not been looking on the back side, but that does sound like a good idea. How many check to see that the grinder blades turn freely? Or just note that it makes all the right sounds when turned on?

Dom D'Agostino
02-25-2010, 02:22 PM
That's an extremely common failure on In-Sink-Erator brand disposals.

Dom.

Dan Harris
02-25-2010, 02:47 PM
That's an extremely common failure on In-Sink-Erator brand disposals.

Dom.

Mine did the same thing a couple years ago.
With a little metal patching material , and duct tape all is well, to date. :)

Ken Rowe
02-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Mine did the same thing a couple years ago.
With a little metal patching material , and duct tape all is well, to date. :)

:) That made me laugh.

John Kogel
02-25-2010, 05:15 PM
What a coincidence. I saw my first one today...Me too.:) Nice pic.:)

Thanks, John. I for one will be trying to check the backside with my camera. :D

Gunnar Alquist
02-25-2010, 06:07 PM
How often do you find cracked disposal housings? I have found 2 in the last month. One of them was very obvious. The one in the picture was not so obvious. It was small and only leaked if the sink was filled before being drained.

I haven't yet begin to checking the back side of disposals with a mirror but I think I'll do it. If this crack were on the back side, it would have been easy to miss it.

John,

I see maybe 3-4 each year. I try to fill the sink up at least 4 inches prior to draining and operating the disposal.

Rick Hurst
02-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Haven't seen any cracked one myself but I have seen several lately that have corrosion present on the housing and will be leaking.

In the picture below, you'll see a small drop of water that is present directly below the label which caught my attention.

rick

Dave Gilstrap
02-26-2010, 09:29 AM
John, that was a good find. You got me thinking about how I inspect sinks and disposals.

Richard DAquanno
02-26-2010, 07:11 PM
I've had quite a few fall apart at the top after 6-8 years "only badger 1-5"
now i only install the pro series ........no problems with them so far

Michael Thomas
02-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Normally, I don't do appliance repair, but..... fished out of a jammed FWG last week:

John Arnold
02-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Normally, I don't do appliance repair, but..... fished out of a jammed FWG last week:

For extra points, what is Harry S Truman's middle name?

Ted Menelly
02-27-2010, 07:14 AM
I see cracked disposals quite regularly. Almost all are in older homes and the units have lasted for years and are still running but slowly disintegrating. I think I have only found a couple that have been cracked that were still in there expected life span.

Michael Stewart
02-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Truman did not have a middle name, only a middle initial. In his autobiography, Truman stated, "I was named for . . . Harrison Young. I was given the diminutive Harry and, so that I could have two initials in my given name, the letter S was added. My Grandfather Truman's name was Anderson Shippe [sometimes also spelled 'Shipp']Truman and my Grandfather Young's name was Solomon Young, so I received the S for both of them." He once joked that the S was a name, not an initial, and it should not have a period, but official documents and his presidential library all use a period.

If you believe Wikipedia!

John Arnold
02-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Truman did not have a middle name, only a middle initial. ...!

In your first post you win the aforementioned and worthless extra points!
What are the odds?

Michael Stewart
02-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks, I'll just donate those points to the Wikipedia poster....they did the leg work!
Back to the actual thread, I've never seen a disposal with any cracks, but surprised it isn't seen more often.