PDA

View Full Version : Type of Insulation

Jim B. Robinson
02-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Is this a type of cellulose insulation? It's very white, feels like cotton and not irritating at all.
Manufacturer?
Thanks, Jim

A.D. Miller
02-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Is this a type of cellulose insulation? It's very white, feels like cotton and not irritating at all.
Manufacturer?
Thanks, Jim

JR: Rock, or mineral wool. Many different manufacturers.

Tim Hill
02-25-2010, 08:24 AM
To me, it looks like Insul-safe III. fiberglass

Eric Russell
02-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Certainteed Insulsafe blown-in is fiberglass w/o formaldehyde. That's what I see the most of in new homes. Looks like what you've got here. Or, occassionally Knauf, which is also fiberglass. Home Depot sells a white cellulose loose fill, which also looks like this.

Ian Niquette
02-25-2010, 08:34 AM
I agree with Tim.

Jim B. Robinson
02-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Thanks guys,
I checked out the Knauf and Certainteed websites and it looks exactly like each of those. I'm surprised its fiber glass as it feels/looks nothing like typical fiberglass products.

Gunnar Alquist
02-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks guys,
I checked out the Knauf and Certainteed websites and it looks exactly like each of those. I'm surprised its fiber glass as it feels/looks nothing like typical fiberglass products.

Jim,

Roll around in it for a while and then let us know if it irritates, ok? :cool:

John Kogel
02-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Home Depot sells a white cellulose loose fill, which also looks like this.I agree, it could be white cellulose. I'd need to roll in it to be sure. :)

Ted Menelly
02-25-2010, 07:16 PM
It is coated fiberglass. The stuff is great. Get up there in the heat and have to move around in it for what ever reason and you will see that the irritation factor not only to skin but lungs is almost nil.

A.D. Miller
02-26-2010, 07:18 AM
It is coated fiberglass. The stuff is great. Get up there in the heat and have to move around in it for what ever reason and you will see that the irritation factor not only to skin but lungs is almost nil.

TM: But, look what it has done to your mind!:eek:

Ted Menelly
02-26-2010, 10:45 AM
TM: But, look what it has done to your mind!:eek:

Now, that is another subject to be discussed at a later date....if I remember :confused:

Eric Russell
02-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Any cellulose I've seen has been a gray or dirty white color. It's usually a paper based product and now, more often than not it's recycled.

AD mentioned that it is sometimes called "mineral wool" and one of the NACHI on-line classes refers to it as that.