PDA

View Full Version : Creative Ridge Beam

mathew stouffer
02-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Check out this ridge beam. This place was built in 1994 and remodeled in 04. The glue lam was about 20 feet long and supported on each end by one 2x6.

Michael Garrity
02-25-2010, 06:49 PM
I"m not seeing the whole picture.

John Dirks Jr
02-25-2010, 07:58 PM
What size are those rafters? 2x10? They look bigger than you usually see. Also, since the glue lam has the rafters going over top of it instead of butting up to it, is it truly a ridge beam, or more of a purlin of sorts?

John Kogel
02-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Pic 4 shows those 2X6's are the center webs of manufactured trusses, so the weight is shared by the truss chords. Also as John pointed out, the rafters are butted above the ridge beam, so a lot of the weight of the roof is directed out to the eaves by the rafters.
The ceiling joists should act as rafter ties in this case, but they are not visible here.

I don't see why they built it that way, but it does not look weak to me. :)

mathew stouffer
02-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Do you think a 2x6 on each side end of the glue lam is enough support, also taking into consideration the snow loads. I know it's beyond the scope but the entire configuration JDLR.

chris mcintyre
02-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Pic 4 shows those 2X6's are the center webs of manufactured trusses, so the weight is shared by the truss chords.

Do you think a 2x6 on each side end of the glue lam is enough support, also taking into consideration the snow loads. I know it's beyond the scope but the entire configuration JDLR.

I agree, it doesn't look right, but it also doesn't look like something that a framer would design on site.

John Kogel
02-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Do you think a 2x6 on each side end of the glue lam is enough support, also taking into consideration the snow loads?Yep. There are knee walls in there as well. That beam is redundant, IMO.

mathew stouffer
02-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Would you recommend additional evaluation?

David Bell
02-26-2010, 05:09 AM
The glue lam looks like it was meant to be exposed after framing.

Vern Heiler
02-26-2010, 05:22 AM
My guess is that the remodel in 04' required cutting out webbing of trusses. The beam was slid in to take the weight. Engineered? Signed letter? I think I would ask more questions about the remodel.

mathew stouffer
02-26-2010, 07:32 AM
I am going to recommend further evaluation just to cover my butt.

Kevin Stenson
02-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Why waste a nice glue lam beam in the attic they make cheaper ones

Don Claeys
02-26-2010, 10:29 AM
This appears to be a structural ridge beam. doesn't matter if rafters sit on top or hang off sides. Use of a structural ridge beam is normally to eliminate the need for collar ties or ceiling joists ie for a cathedral ceiling remodel. Can't see enough information about the 2x6 truss member bearing at the ends to comment.

Rod Butler
02-26-2010, 10:40 AM
In reality a 2x6 can hold a tremendous amount of weight. However being in Park City you are in an active seismic zone and I would question the moment and shear capability more than the ability to support.

The flex duct running below the beam looks small. Hopefully it's just for a toilet exhaust fan.

Daniel Mummey
02-26-2010, 04:01 PM
It appears to serve no real structural value for what appears to be a rafters to ridge gable type roof system UNLESS this beam span is intended to carry a future heavily loaded platform above the roof or a hoist below, in the case of a garage space below. In either case with the planned loading transferred to the ends and thus to the bearing walls (assumed) single 2 x 6 doesn't satisfy the crippling effect nor the safety factor. The total shear bolt capacities way exceed the bearing strength of the single 2 x 6.

Vern Heiler
02-26-2010, 04:26 PM
If ya'll didn't like the OP's pic's, your going to hate the one's I took today!:D

Daniel Mummey
02-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Keep it coming Vern. Great pictures. Apparently every single rafter mis-cut too short, thus the spliced ends to make the bearing to ridge. Now tell me this is the tool shed or some other non-residential structure the building authority passed by!

Vern Heiler
02-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Keep it coming Vern. Great pictures. Apparently every single rafter mis-cut too short, thus the spliced ends to make the bearing to ridge. Now tell me this is the tool shed or some other non-residential structure the building authority passed by!

I, and the owner, would like to tell you that but......:(

Rod Butler
02-26-2010, 08:00 PM
If ya'll didn't like the OP's pic's, your going to hate the one's I took today!:D

wow. . . if it weren't so tragic it would be entertaining.

Matthew Klein
02-27-2010, 07:29 AM
If you look at the third photo, you can see a gap between the rafters and the beam at least on one side. It likely is only supporting its own weight. Is it possible that this beam is left from previous construction?

Either way, if I were doing a structural inspection on this one, I would likely say "OMG!" and state that I did not see a problem.