PDA

View Full Version : Black Plastic Sheets Showing Through the Mortar on Brick Home

Reggie Russell
03-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Hey Guys,

I inspected a brand new brick house today and saw the black plastic sheets protruding the mortar in several areas around the house. I am only in my second year of inspecting and I do not remember seeing this before. Is this something to bring up in a report?

Rick Cantrell
03-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Nothing to worry about.
Look nearby for the weep holes.

Rick Hurst
03-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Look for bigger game like the improper clearance between the brick veneer and the soil line.

rick

Michael Thomas
03-07-2010, 05:19 AM
Base flashing:

http://files.buildsite.com/dbderived-f/fortifiber/derived_files/derived205998.pdf

Reggie Russell
03-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. Always good info posted here! :)

Michael - so it is not unusual for this to be showing on the exterior? I know I haven't been doing this for very long but it is still the first time I have noticed this occurring.

Rick Cantrell
03-07-2010, 06:49 PM
If you look close you will see it on many, if not most homes.

Jerry Peck
03-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. Always good info posted here! :)

Michael - so it is not unusual for this to be showing on the exterior? I know I haven't been doing this for very long but it is still the first time I have noticed this occurring.

If you look close you will see it on many, if not most homes.

It is required to extend to the face of the brick veneer, so you should always see it, along with weep holes ... neither of which is usually seen. :eek:

Jerry Peck
03-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Look for bigger game like the improper clearance between the brick veneer and the soil line.

Brick veneer can extend down into the soil, as long as the cavity is fully grouted below the through wall flashing.

Mark T. Denton
03-08-2010, 01:10 PM
This would not be bad if it was between the brick ledge and the first course of brick. This appears to be above the first course of brick. If the weep holes are on the same plane as the plastic then it is probably okay, if not you might have a problem. I'd write it up as deficient and let the builder explain it.

Joseph Ehrhardt
03-08-2010, 05:27 PM
I agree, its through wall flashing,This material typically is not UV friendly, I am in the middle of a mid rise litigation with 7000 linial feet of Grace flashing hanging out. the developer has to cut back a 3/4 inch from the exterior joint, install backer rod and caulk, Per Grace they have to isolate the Sika caulk from the flashing membrane so it does not chemically react.
Grace and Carlisle are both big manufacturers of this product, check them out

Michael Thomas
03-08-2010, 05:36 PM

"Why Extending Flashing Is Critical":

ftp://imgs.ebuild.com/woc/m970675.pdf

Matthew Klein
03-13-2010, 04:44 PM
I agree with the others about the flashing, except I would add it is the CRAP that passes for flashing. Why it was ever accepted, I still cannot understand.