PDA

View Full Version : Federal panel question

Tim Kallmer
03-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Are panels labeled as simply Federal or with breakers labeled as Federal American the same as Federal Pacific panels? They did not have markings specifically saying Federal Pacific or FPE. They look the same however and said Stab-lok. They were 1955 vintage. Just wondering if these would have the same issues? Thanks.

Nick Ostrowski
03-09-2010, 03:43 PM
If the panel said Stab-Lok and the breakers have those orange handles, it's Federal Pacific.

Tim Kallmer
03-09-2010, 04:40 PM
If the panel said Stab-Lok and the breakers have those orange handles, it's Federal Pacific.

A couple handles were orange; most were black however.

Rollie Meyers
03-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Federal "No-Ark" breakers had black handles, & they interchange w/ later FPE Stab-lok breakers.

Ron Bibler
03-09-2010, 07:16 PM
These are off my inspections from the other day...

Best

Ron

Rollie Meyers
03-10-2010, 06:10 AM
These are off my inspections from the other day...

Best

Ron

The 20A single pole twins are Chinese (UBI) breakers.:(

Bill Kriegh
03-13-2010, 09:24 AM
For those who haven't, read ALL the available info on Federal panels at Federal Pacific Electric FPE Stab-Lok Panel Circuit Breaker Hazard, Repairs, Electrical Panel Replacement Electricians Directory for Stab-Lok Repairs (http://www.inspectapedia.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm).

The breakers manufactured during a certain period of time are problem children for sure, but the panel design itself suffers from other problems as well. I've seen all varieties of Federal breakers fail to trip, including main breakers and "other than orange handled" branch circuit breakers.

Basically, in the US, if a panel has the "Stab-Lok" buss, it's junk, a hazzard, and needs to be replaced. Dunno or care what's happening with the issue "up nordt", but can assume that with at least one breaker recall the thing's going to bite them in the backside eventually.

Jerry Peck
03-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Basically, in the US, if a panel has the "Stab-Lok" buss, it's junk, a hazzard, and needs to be replaced.

Deserves repeating as some home inspectors are still hesitant to call for their replacement.