PDA

View Full Version : Writing a report...

TcDuhon
03-11-2010, 01:47 PM
I am about to start off in the inspection field, unfortunately I do not have the start up money to buy one of those inpsection report software (they seem to be pricey). I know some people have made their own reports on word or something of the sort and just use those. I am not to familiar with form making on the computer and am asking if someone can send me sample or a report I could use....
I know this is probably a lot to ask.
thanks guys.

Jim Luttrall
03-11-2010, 01:53 PM
You can go to the TREC website and download the blank report. This is the way Texas reports are required to be formatted.
Bob Payne at Inspection Wise software company has offered the Word version of this in the past. I am sure you can contact him (really nice guy) and get it.

Vern Heiler
03-11-2010, 01:58 PM
You can go to the TREC website and download the blank report. This is the way Texas reports are required to be formatted.
Bob Payne at Inspection Wise software company has offered the Word version of this in the past. I am sure you can contact him (really nice guy) and get it.

Get the latest "Using Microsoft Word" by Que. The 2000 Special Edition is 1402 pages. Oh ya, get a large supply of Excedrin:D .

TcDuhon
03-11-2010, 02:00 PM
they have to be this format but not necessarily on that form .... right?

Jim Luttrall
03-11-2010, 02:13 PM
(1) Except as provided by this section, inspections performed for a prospective buyer or prospective seller of one-to-four family residential property shall be reported on Form REI 7A-1 or Form REI 7-2 adopted by the Commission ("the standard form").I don't understand your question but here is the answer or you can find the answer at the TREC website.
http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.ViewTAC?tac_view=5&ti=22&pt=23&ch=535&sch=R&rl=Y

(2) Inspectors may reproduce the standard form by computer or from printed copies obtained from the Commission. Except as specifically permitted by this section, the inspector shall reproduce the text of the standard form verbatim and the spacing, length of blanks, borders, and placement of text on the page must appear to be identical to that in the printed version of the standard form.

TcDuhon
03-11-2010, 02:19 PM
(1) Except as provided by this section, inspections performed for a prospective buyer or prospective seller of one-to-four family residential property shall be reported on Form REI 7A-1 or Form REI 7-2 adopted by the Commission ("the standard form"). I don't understand your question but here is the answer or you can find the answer at the TREC website.
: Texas Administrative Code (http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.ViewTAC?tac_view=5&ti=22&pt=23&ch=535&sch=R&rl=Y)
I mean, when you do a inspection for someone... you give them this form (filled out) after the inspection?

Stuart Brooks
03-11-2010, 04:14 PM
I have Inspect Express and Home Gauge that I would like to unload if I can transfer title.

Jim Luttrall
03-11-2010, 04:29 PM
I mean, when you do a inspection for someone... you give them this form (filled out) after the inspection?

Yes, you must use the state provided form. You can make some changes within their guidelines but you have to use the basic form basically verbatim.
There is no need to reinvent the wheel to make a pretty report since the state has already told you what form you have to use for the report. If you get a software package, make sure they have a Texas version that complies with the latest and greatest from TREC or it won't do you much good.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
03-11-2010, 05:21 PM
TC

have you completed a inspector training class??
they will provide you the proper way to do a report. i believe your report is the most important tool in your business and you are judged by it and referred by it.

invest the money in the software
charlie

Matt Fellman
03-11-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't know about Texas requirements but I've used an MS Word based template that my business partner made up for years and it's great. All I ever hear are complaints about using all the software programs (aside from having to pay for them) and I just couldn't see spending the money. That being said, it's a personal choice and once you're comfortable with something it's tough to be talked out of it so I'd say go with what you can get your hands on and feel comfortable with and learn, learn, learn how to make it do what you want.

Doug Haglund
03-12-2010, 05:10 AM
Hey Stuart don't you like Home Gauge software, If you can transfer title where I could use, I would be interested in it let me know

Stuart Brooks
03-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Hey Stuart don't you like Home Gauge software, If you can transfer title where I could use, I would be interested in it let me know
I'll check with HG. It is a nice program but the output is designed for HTML where pagination isn't an issue. I use PDF output and page breaks are important in my documentation. According to HG, they did not have plans for improving the pagination of the output. I ended up with too many pages with orphaned pictures or statements. Plus, the PDF generator puts the document header and footer on the cover page and the cover page is numbered. I had to edit every report in Adobe Acrobat. I was impressed by their customer service - no gripes there. The look and feel of the report is modifiable.

Richard Stanley
03-12-2010, 06:50 AM
Whispersolutions.com
If you can't afford this, you probably can't afford to get to the inspection anyway.
PS - it is also the best one on the market......IMO!

TSlocum
03-12-2010, 01:43 PM
I am about to start off in the inspection field, unfortunately I do not have the start up money to buy one of those inpsection report software (they seem to be pricey). I know some people have made their own reports on word or something of the sort and just use those. I am not to familiar with form making on the computer and am asking if someone can send me sample or a report I could use....
I know this is probably a lot to ask.
thanks guys.

Try home inspection report writing software :: myreportwriter.com (http://www.myreportwriter.com). There is a free trial. There are many options that you need to play with to customize your report. It's a monthly subscription instead of laying out big bucks for a program. A good way to start until you are more familiar with what your needs are.

Tim

Tim Hill
03-12-2010, 06:19 PM
I agree with Richard. Whisper is easy to use and very inexpensive to get started with. Customer service is incredible!

Andrew Christel
03-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Tc Try this ReportHost.
Easy to use and affordable. ReportHost - The original and still the best home inspection software on the Internet (http://www.reporthost.com/default.asp?target=/mainMenu.asp)

Duane Nelson
03-12-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm with Richard and Tim. I have used Whisper since 2004 and am absolutely pleased with their product and support.

Nolan Kienitz
03-13-2010, 08:48 AM
I have been using the Whisper Solutions product for the past 7 years. I started with Whisper PI and have been using Whisper Reporter for the past 4+ years. I also help the folks at Whisper with debugging and testing of new versions sometimes before they are generally released.

As you are or about to be a TREC licensed inspector in Texas you have to use the REI 7-2 template. It is "required" to use that template in Texas. Be careful of the offers from many others in states other than Texas as the applications they suggest may not offer the REI 7-2 TREC template.

Jim L. provided the correct and official answers and links from TREC with respect to the rules.

I know that even Home Gauge does not have the current 7-2 template in their software package currently.

The application developers that are not based in Texas tend to offer the TREC template sort of as an afterthought and they don't respond as quickly as the local companies to keep the template current.

Dominic with Home Inspector Pro out of California (on the other hand) does a very good job on the TREC requirements. He also has a good product.

I'm just locked in with Whisper due to my comments and many more things I do with the application.

As someone else has mentioned your report is your product and service. If you don't have a good understanding of that and how to transfer you inspection findings to a comprehensive, legible and understandable report then you will likely not get out of the gate with your inspection business.

If you are concerned about the $$ for the application software to develop your reports or have not even researched the TREC website for all the requirements and have not yet researched insurance carriers for E&O and GL insurance then you have some more surprises coming your way.

The software is a minor expense in the scheme of things.

Claude Lawrenson
03-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Give 3D Inspection Software a try. You can go to their website or download a focus version copy.

Disclosure - yes, I am a partner in a company that is a Canadian Distributor of 3D

Nolan Kienitz
03-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Claude,

I just visited the HG website and I can't seem to locate an approved Texas TREC template.

The nomenclature on the sample report indicates a version that is no longer accepted by TREC for inspections in Texas.

As I've noted I've heard many good things about HG, but they need to have the current and accurate TREC-approved templates for the product they sell to Texas-licensed HIs otherwise the inspectors are in violation of the TREC State Rules and could be fined and/or disciplined.

Jim Luttrall
05-04-2010, 05:51 AM
I try to download but not succeed.

London needing a Texas report?

http://www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/forms/insp/REI-7-2-PropertyInspectonReport.pdf

Trent Tarter
05-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Homegauge has Texas templates. Talk to them they have a payment program of 3 payments for $295 each. Homegauge has great technical support and an online forum for members. Trust me if you can start out with great software it can really help your business get off the ground. Plus there report hosting service is great. Makes it very easy to email reports and inspection agreements.

Philippe Heller
08-14-2010, 07:16 AM
I would be concerned about one other thing. If you can't swing the software, can you afford the E&O insurance? This should be your biggest concern. As you probably can see from this discussion board, you have to protect yourself. Particularly as a new inspector.

Honestly, if you can't get E&O insurnace or software, you might want to work for someone for a while and save up, learn the business, and start your own business when the timing is better.

Just my two cents.

Mitchell Toelle
08-16-2010, 09:43 AM
TC has pretty much disappeared from this forum and this post. Last posted in March of this year on any thread.

I will assume from his posts that he was not fully prepared to enter this Profession, and that he was not really serious about making the investments needed to properly enter. Hope he found something more suited to his level of education and professionalism that serves his income needs. All newcomers should take a look at Brian's "Cost of Doing business" before posting questions like these. It's the best investment they could ever make if serious about this Profession.

There are no shortcuts when entering this profession. It requires time, fortitude, patience, and did I mention "time". If get rich quick is the goal of any newbies they should look elsewhere.