PDA

View Full Version : no vapor barrier

Jerome W. Young
03-15-2010, 01:33 PM
house 1980 wood frame wood panel siding.
The house never had any water proofing/vapor barrier installed. You pull the siding back and you can see insulation and framing. Obviously not good, and i recommend installing but was the code always to do this?

Bruce Breedlove
03-15-2010, 02:41 PM
You pull the siding back and you can see insulation and framing.

So there is no exterior sheathing?

Jerome W. Young
03-15-2010, 02:49 PM
no but that is not uncommon. we put wood siding right over the house wrap here.

Rick Cantrell
03-15-2010, 04:20 PM
I do not know when a water barrier became a requirement, however I see it on houses built in the early 60s, maybe earlier.

Jerry Peck
03-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Not real uncommon to have T-1-11 siding over wood frame without house wrap back then, but it probably should have at least had building paper (felt) installed behind it ("should have" being key).

My house up here is wood frame (1978 vintage), I believe I recall having seen felt when I looked inside the vented area behind the fireplace, 1/2" plywood, then 1/4' or 3/8" cedar plywood with cedar battens on it to look like rough-sawn cedar board and batten. There are a few houses in my neighborhood which are T-1-11, one of which is a 5,400 sf house around the corner from ours - what a shame to install T-1-11 on houses like that.

Of course, most also have FPE panels in them too ... :eek: (At least there is no aluminum wiring.)

That's an indication of 'Good builders gone bad' ... :)