PDA

View Full Version : Wiring in Attic Space

Michael Schirmer
03-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Anybody see this before? Don't know what it is. Some kind of static capacitors? or something to due with electric heat? I have absolutely no idea!

Jerry Peck
03-17-2010, 06:05 PM
The first one and I was going to say "Looks like a phone line splice cover.", but ... with all those other ones ... ???

Maybe coils in an antenna wire for some type of radio? When I was very young I had a crystal radio set with antenna wire strung through our attic in our house up in New York south of Buffalo - I could listen to people all over with that thing ... okay, not listen well, but still it was very interesting for just a young tad.

Scott Patterson
03-17-2010, 06:33 PM
That is for a shortwave radio, maybe a 10MHz or 30 meter.
I use to have one kind of like that in the attic of my house when I dabbled in HAM with Boy Scouts.

Gunnar Alquist
03-17-2010, 07:05 PM
When I was very young I had a crystal radio set...

A crystal radio set? Just how old are you anyway? :cool:

Jim Luttrall
03-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Old enough to write with a Quill pen;)

Bruce Breedlove
03-17-2010, 08:34 PM
When I was very young I had a crystal radio set with antenna wire strung through our attic in our house up in New York south of Buffalo - I could listen to people all over with that thing ...

I found this picture of Jerry in his bedroom with that crystal radio set. :D

H.G. Watson, Sr.
03-18-2010, 01:34 PM
SP's on track. Its an antenna.

Looks like vermiculite (zonalite, etc.) up with that fiberglass batt. Right up against the vent stack too. Hope you had your respirator and PPE suit on.