PDA

View Full Version : CSST in return

mathew stouffer
03-22-2010, 06:02 PM
I posted a previous thread regarding this issue and the discussion kind of went off track. Is CSST allowed in returns? I could not find anything on a manufactures tag. Sorry no pic yet.

mathew stouffer
03-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Ok here is a pic. Got the light.

Chuck Lambert
03-22-2010, 07:53 PM
I posted a previous thread regarding this issue and the discussion kind of went off track. Is CSST allowed in returns? I could not find anything on a manufactures tag. Sorry no pic yet.

Is ANY gas line allowed in a furnace return?? CSST or otherwise. Why would CSST be allowed and regular gas line not?

mathew stouffer
03-22-2010, 08:05 PM
I don't know, and that is why I am asking. ;)

Scott Patterson
03-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Well the picture is about an inch square so it is kind of hard to see anything, but nothing should be in a return duct. It should be a completely sealed with nothing in it other than the air that is being returned to the unit.

John Dirks Jr
03-23-2010, 06:07 AM
It's especially risky to have CSST near conductive metal such as return ducting. It makes it more likely in the event of a lightning strike for arching to burn through the CSST and create a gas leak.

Always check for bonding of the gas piping, especially is there is CSST anywhere in the house.

Chuck Lambert
03-23-2010, 07:36 AM
I don't know, and that is why I am asking. ;)

As Scott stated there should be nothing in the return. Gas lines are not allowed.

Chuck