PDA

View Full Version : Tub Installation Clearances

Joseph P. Hagarty
06-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Is there a minimum clearance requirement between a tub and sidewall?

Richard Rushing
06-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Joe,

I don't have anything showing clearances to the wall from the tub. However, the attached illustration shows 21" inches between tub and water closet. It also shows 24"inches between the shower and the wall.

But no clearances between tub and wall.

Richard

Joseph P. Hagarty
06-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Here is the Toilet in the same Bathroom....

There is 30 inches at the rear wall but the wall begins to narrow towardsthe front of the toilet to accomodate the swing of the entry door.

Richard Rushing
06-29-2007, 07:56 PM
The toilet just has to meet the 15" inch minimum (to center) from the wall... looks like it does that pretty easy.

Rich

Joseph P. Hagarty
06-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Bathroom 2....

Picture 1....Half Bath
Picture 2....Side wall to Toilet
Picture 3....Distance from wall to sink with Toilet in between
Picture 4....Distance from front of Toilet to wall in front of toilet

Richard Rushing
06-29-2007, 07:58 PM
No Sir. If that is new construction... She won't work.

Rich

Richard Rushing
06-29-2007, 07:58 PM
That builder and plumber is going to LOOVE YOU.:D

Rich

Tony Mount
06-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Joseph, What Richard is trying to say is, The builder is going to LOVE to sue your ass for calling it out for an repair if you can't prove your right. It looks to me that if your ass is over 28" wide you might have a problem other than that, no problem.

Thom Walker
06-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Bathroom 2....

Picture 1....Half Bath
Picture 2....Side wall to Toilet
Picture 3....Distance from wall to sink with Toilet in between
Picture 4....Distance from front of Toilet to wall in front of toilet
[quote=Joseph P. Hagarty;10480]Bathroom 2....

Joe,
When you measure, measure from the center of the toilet to the side wall, not from the rim.

When you measure from the toilet to the front wall, it's from the rim to the wall. There you want minimum 21 inches.

Of course, everthing changes when ADA becomes a factor.

Jerry Peck
06-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Joe,

This is from the IRC.

- P2705.1 General. The installation of fixtures shall conform to the following:

- - 4. Plumbing fixtures shall be usable.

Is that tub "usable"?

It certainly begs the question. So ignore TM's remarks about builder's suing you for asking for proof that it is "usable". Unless the builder is practicing discriminatory policies, they should not use the defense of 'well, if you are thin ... ', because if they say that, then I am sure the Feds might have something to say about that discrimination policy, discriminating against people who are 'thin-challenged'.

In fact, you can probably ignore most of what TM says. :rolleyes:

Then there is this from the definitions.

- R201.4 Terms not defined. Where terms are not defined through the methods authorized by this section, such terms shall have ordinarily accepted meanings such as the context implies.

This is from the Merriam-Webster Online dictionary.
usable

One entry found for usable. Main Entry: us·able
Variant(s): also use·able http://m-w.com/images/audio.gif (javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?useabl01.wav=useable')) /'yü-z&-b&l/
Function: adjective
1 : capable of being used
2 : convenient and practicable for use
- us·abil·i·ty http://m-w.com/images/audio.gif (javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?usabil01.wav=usability')) /"yü-z&-'bi-l&-tE/ noun
- us·able·ness http://m-w.com/images/audio.gif (javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?usable01.wav=usableness')) /'yü-z&-b&l-n&s/ noun
- us·ably http://m-w.com/images/audio.gif (javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?usably01.wav=usably')) /-blE/ adverb

The minimum requirements for spacing are: 15" from the center to a wall or a partition or to the edge of a bidet (in this case it would be safe to substitute 'from the edge of the lavatory above' as that becomes the confining limit). That means the edge of the lavatory would need to be a minimum of 30" from the wall to the left of the water closet, *if* the water closet was at 15" from its center to the wall - the lavatory would need to be further is the water closet was further from the wall (which it is not).

If the builder is selling the house FHA, I bet they (FHA) would have some definition for "usable". And, if that is the master bath, the Fair Housing Guidelines may apply ('may', but I'm not sure).