PDA

View Full Version : truss cut

John Dirks Jr
03-28-2010, 07:20 AM
The attic trusses are at 24" on center as usual. 1987 construction. The hatch is narrow enough that it could have been placed between the trusses without cutting one of them.

I shared this because its the first time I've found one that could have been placed without the need for cutting. I wonder why they did it. Maybe it was moved from another location than the original construction.

Another member of the cut truss was split. It flexed quite a bit when I pulled down on it.

Vern Heiler
03-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Oh John! You'll drive yourself crazy if you start doing this.....
"I wonder why they did it." :D

Matt Fellman
03-28-2010, 12:39 PM
The last one of these I ran into was a broken truss in an attic and I just couldn't figure it out..... until I went back to the garage and saw the seller's dismantled climbing wall and anchors. Sure enough, the main pulley that likely people hung from had likely been attached to the broken truss.

Houses should come with warning labels.

Gary Burnett
04-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Most people don't know that trusses are engineered so they make room for whatever they need.
Here is one I did yesterday that those dang web members got in the way of storage. I think they knew something about trusses as they added to top plywood on the altered ones.

Nick Ostrowski
04-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Most people don't know that trusses are engineered so they make room for whatever they need.
Here is one I did yesterday that those dang web members got in the way of storage. I think they knew something about trusses as they added to top plywood on the altered ones.

Nice try but no cigar Mr. Homeowner.

Rick Hurst
04-03-2010, 06:57 AM
John,

I came across the same thing yesterday.

rick