PDA

View Full Version : Dishwasher Breaker Cannot Trip

George Krause
03-31-2010, 08:35 AM
So here is a photo of a brace that does not allow the dishwasher breaker to trip. That seems unsafe to me, and contrary to the purpose of circuit breakers, yet I see it a couple of times a month. Any good explanations?

brian schmitt
03-31-2010, 09:08 AM
george,
think lock!

Gunnar Alquist
03-31-2010, 10:20 AM
So here is a photo of a brace that does not allow the dishwasher breaker to trip. That seems unsafe to me, and contrary to the purpose of circuit breakers, yet I see it a couple of times a month. Any good explanations?

George,

The trip is internal. The handle will not show the tripped breaker, but will not prevent tripping. This is a lockout device. It will prevent turning it off, if it is locked. It will also prevent turning it on if the breaker handle is turned-off and the lockout device is placed over/around the breaker handle and locked.

I have never seen one of these on a dishwasher. I typically see them on alarm circuits.

Wayne Carlisle
03-31-2010, 10:21 AM
The bar won't stop the breaker from tripping. Now the bar will keep them from resetting it though!

Jim Port
03-31-2010, 10:59 AM
That breaker lock serves to ensure that no one turns the DW breaker on when being worked on. This is instead of a disconnect mounted within sight of the unit.

As others have said the breaker can still trip.